query: checked/entering tone

Dan Xu xudan at EHESS.FR
Sat Sep 22 06:38:20 UTC 2012

Dear colleagues,

Actually, "entering tone" of one of the four tones in Chinese. From
phonetic and phonological point of view, it is rather a syllable ended by
an occlusive -p, -t and -k than a real tone. But since the *Qièyùn*
切韵(first dictionary of rhymes, 601 or 602 AD) which categorized it as
a one
of the four tones, the term “entering tone” has been preserved in Chinese
linguistic works. Today Chinese dialects are classified according to the
evolution of “entering tone”, a criterion established by Li Rong
(1920-2002).

Best regards,

Xu Dan

--