Aditional on my post regarding checked and creaky tones

F.K.L. Chit Hlaing chithlaing at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 24 02:41:19 UTC 2012

There was a bad typo on line 6 in the first paragraph "line" syllables
should be "live" syllables. Moreover, I ought to have said clearly
that of course glottal constriction by definition makes voicing
impossible, which is why moraic length in checked syllables is so
shortened. It seems (but I am not certain) to follow that, in Burmese
at least, the etymological stop coda (now glottal checking) has, if
you will, more or less become something that happens on the moraic
ending of the syllable's vocalic nucleus, although presumably, in the
far northern dialects, the approach of the tongue to the palate that
affects vowel quality (LaRa Maran describes this in his doctoral
thesis in 1971, with palatograms!) may still sort of represent the
etymological post-vocalic coda. So, one needs to ask, is the Burmese
glottal stop a "stop", i.e., a syllable coda?

F. K. L. Chit Hlaing ခ်စ္လိႈင္
Department of Anthropology
109 Davenpport Hall
607 South Mathews Avenue