checked tone: Thank you!

Kristine Hildebrandt khildeb at SIUE.EDU
Mon Sep 24 18:37:55 UTC 2012

Dear Tibeto-Burmanists and affiliated colleagues:

Thank you very much for these responses, which have provided me with plenty
of detailed information and references regarding S-T and other SEA (and
even beyond, perhaps?) checked tone-type phenomena. The responses have also
highlighted the reality that 'checked tone' (not truly synonymous with
'entering tone') potentially has a number of different specific
operationalizations, depending on individual languages/lg. clusters,
contexts of application, and other factors like phonetic manifestation,
synchronic phonological representation and also diachrony, for example. As
Martine Mazaudon noted in her response, this potential for variation in
definition and application for this concept does seem to underscore the
need for that little footnote with a precise (analysis-specific?)
definition!

Best wishes and I look forward to seeing many of you in Singapore next
month,

--
Orche
('Thanks' in Manange)

*Kristine A. Hildebrandt*
*Associate Professor, Department of English Language & Literature
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville*
*Box 1431
Edwardsville, IL 62026 U.S.A.
618-650-3380 (office)*
*khildeb at siue.edu