[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] A question about numerals

Chris Button chris.button at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 17 12:21:53 UTC 2014

Hey again,
It might also be worth noting that the numbers one and two tend to have distinct features in Indo-European as well.
In English, we have one (cardinal) vs first (ordinal) and two (cardinal) vs second (ordinal) which have separate etymologies. Above that, the ordinals are etymologically derived from the cardinals (three - third, four - fourth etc).
In Portuguese, the numbers um (one) and dois (two) inflect for feminine gender as uma and duas. This originally stems from Latin although note this was not preserved in Spanish for the number two where dos is always dos.
It might be interesting to see how this ties back to the "one, two, many" argument regarding counting.
By the way, you might want to check out Matisoff's 1997 volume "Sino-Tibetan Numeral Systems: Prefixes, Protoforms and Problems"
Best,
Chris