[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] A question about numerals

Guillaume Jacques rgyalrongskad at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 11:43:43 UTC 2014

In some Rgyalrongic languages and in Tangut, "one" as a free numeral and
"one" as a numeral prefix in classifiers are expressed by different roots:

Stau e-(fku) "one (year)" vs ru "one" (<*rik)
Tangut .a-(kjiw) "one (year)" vs lew "one"

In Tibetan we have *gang *"one" in the same kind of contexts as *bleng *in
Kurtöp. It is, in my view, derived from the verb *gang *'be full', the
anticausative of '*gengs*, *bkang *'to fill' (note also the adjective
*gang.po* "entire, complete')

A potential etymology for *bleng* would be along the same lines, a noun or
adjective meaning 'full, complete', then reanalyzed as a numeral "one" when
used with mass nouns (a bit like English hand > "a handfull"). There is in
Tibetan a possible cognate *byings.po* "complete", which comes from
*blyings, a shown by the word family relationship with *lings.po*
"complete", see :

https://www.academia.edu/2261557/The_laterals_in_Tibetan

Kurtöp -eng regulalry corresponds to Tibetan -ing in the inherited
vocabulary (this is the result of Dempsey's law, see:

http://eprints.soas.ac.uk/18336/1/Hill%202014%20Dempsey%20exceptions.pdf

Guillaume

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Many thanks for such insightful responses! This is all very interesting
> and Norihiko-san and Randy's comments put an interesting spin on things and
> give me much to think about. If Randy -- or anyone else -- has more details
> about the systems or forms in other Tibeto-Burman languages I would be
> quite interested in references or details. I'm especially wondering if
> there there any cognates out there for *bleng* and *gwâ* (alternates with
> *gwak*, so probably the more original form would be *gwak*).
>
> Gwen
>

> On Dec 17, 2014, at 2:30 PM, HAYASHI NORIHIKO wrote:
>
> I should add some information on Japanese.
>
> After posting the last email, I realized my information is somewhat
> misleading.
> The Japanese originated classifiers usually co-occur with the Japanese
> numerals under 'four'.
> If you wish to say 'five bags' or 'six bags', we usually use Kango
> numerals like 'go-hukuro' [five<CH>-CLF<J>], 'rop-pukuro' [six<CH>-CLF<J>].
>
> So, the native numeral in Japanese can be considered to be in limited use.
>
> Norihiko

Guillaume Jacques
CNRS (CRLAO) - INALCO
http://cnrs.academia.edu/GuillaumeJacques