[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] A question about numerals

Martine Mazaudon mazaudon at vjf.cnrs.fr
Thu Dec 18 10:39:45 UTC 2014

Dear all,

About Randy's suggestion to use the MPI website for information, I want
to say that unfortunately the site has been conceived with a bias
towards decimal systems.
The questionaire provided does not let you enter information about other
systems (vigesimal for instance).

I mentioned this problem years ago to Dr Chan, but no space has been
provided in the site to accommodate other systems, which is why I have
not filled in the Tamang or Dzongkha information.
When I check the site today I see that Eastern Tamang is totally wrong.
I can tell you that it is a fully vigesimal system, and the decimal
forms provided on the site are a modern fabrication, done with the best
intentions of modernization and education in mind, but from our
documentation point of view, misguided, and (most important) not used by
speakers.

Some languages like Dzongkha have two parallel systems. The site lists
decimal forms only, with a brief mention: *"Other comments: *Dzhongkha
has a decimal system and an archaic numeral system based on twenty."

I have talked here only about the different bases that should be
recorded (e.g. vigesimal for Dzongkha) but other structural
peculiarities (fractional counting, overcounting) remain undocumented
also if some key numbers are not recorded (like 31,35, 36 and 400!).

The result of the decimal policy of the site is that the rarer systems
are not reported.

In our time, when decimal systems are fast gaining ground, it is too bad
that a scientific site should collude with governments and other
institutional bodies to help destroy the diversity of structures in
languages. As we all know, calques are one of the ways a language gets
"endangered from the inside".

I have dealt with these matters in publications which you can find on
academia.edu or Hal-SHS. I wish you all would help me in my
proselytizing in favor of the proper documentation of number systems:
record at least ALL numbers to 100, and try to prod for multiple
systems, appropriate to diverse circumstances, either sociolinguistic or
semantic, a diversity which brings us back to Gwen's original question.

https://www.academia.edu/3253865/Number_building_in_Tibeto-Burman_languages
https://www.academia.edu/3253848/Dzongkha_number_systems

Cheers

Martine