Original Linguistic Survey of India recordings

Seino van Breugel seinobreugel at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 6 14:16:40 UTC 2014

Dear colleagues,

I would like to draw your attention to a website that provides access to
the archived original gramophone recordings made for Grierson's Linguistic
Survey of India. The link is

http://dsal.uchicago.edu/lsi/

This website also indicates, in a note under the recordings, that the
transcripts in the books sometimes differ from what the speakers actually
say. The text of the Prodigal Son in Atong, for example, appears to be much
more like the Atong language that I recorded than the transcript in
Grierson makes one believe. There is, for example, a three-way voicing
contrast in the stops that is not indicated in the transcript.

I find it absolutely fantastic to be able to hear the voices of people who
lived a hundred years ago speaking languages that we are familiar with.

Best wishes,

Seino

Dr. Seino van Breugel
Lecturer in Linguistics