[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] Questionnaire Evidentiality and Speakers's attitude

Bettina Zeisler zeis at uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Jun 13 16:42:32 UTC 2016

Dear all,

in my two-decades-long work on Ladakhi, I stumbled on more and more
examples that did not match the expected distribution of auxiliaries
as derived from a clear-cut evidential system (if that ever exists).
This has led me to start a new project on 'evidentiality' and
speaker's attitude in Ladakhi, and for this purpose I have assembled a
questionnaire, which attempts at listing all contexts that might be
crucial for the choice of one and the other form together with some
examples for each context. Even though this is only a first draft
version, I should like to share it with all those who work on
'evidentiality' in Tibetic or Tibeto-Burman languages.

Of course, one cannot project the behaviour of Ladakhi 'evidentials'
onto any other language, but I hope you may nevertheless find the
examples interesting, if not inspiring. Since all languages and even
the dialects have different cuttoff points, I would be happy to hear
from you, in which cases "your" language differs from the examples
given. And I would be even more happy to hear or rather read of other
crucial contexts, not yet listed.

The questionnaire also includes a first overview over what I'd like to
call evaluative markers, that is, markers for inference, guessing,
probabilities, and shared knowledge. These are very difficult to tease
appart, as their functions overlap to a certain extend. Again I would
be happy about any comment concerning this type of markers in other
Tibetic or Tibeto-Burman languages.

The questionnaire is also uploaded at my personal page:
http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/fakultaeten/philosophische-fakultaet/fachbereiche/aoi/indologie-vgl-religionswissenschaft/mitarbeiter/bettina-zeisler/publikationen.html
and at academia.edu: https://uni-tuebingen.academia.edu/BettinaZeisler

Looking foreward to your feed back
and with greetings from Ladakh

Bettina Zeisler
DFG Project
Evidentiality, epistemic modality, and speaker attitude in Ladakhi -
Modality and the interface for semantics, pragmatics, and grammar
Universität Tübingen
http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/fakultaeten/philosophische-fakultaet/fachbereiche/aoi/indologie-vgl-religionswissenschaft/mitarbeiter/bettina-zeisler/projekte.html#c290353