[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] Dictionary project

Brookes, Tim brookes at champlain.edu
Thu Feb 2 17:09:22 UTC 2017

Dear Friends and Colleagues:
The next collaboration between my Endangered Alphabets Project and Our
Golden Hour is going to be a children's picturebook-dictionary for students
from the ethnic minorities of the Chittagong Hill Tracts of Bangladesh.
As the design plans stand at the moment, each page will display an
illustration of some item familiar to the children--a mango, an elephant, a
monkey--surrounded by the words for that item in Mro, Marma, Chakma,
Tripura, Bangla, and English. These dictionaries will initially be used in
the three schools established in the Hill Tracts by Our Golden Hour, where
children learn in their mother tongues.
We're starting with 100 words to get the feel of the process and explore
its challenges, and then we'll scale up from that.
Much of the day-to-day work is being carried out by students in the
Publishing in the 21st Century class at Champlain College, where I teach.
We're running a Kickstarter campaign right now to raise funds for printing.
(I can send you the link, if you're interested.)
We're well aware that we can use all kinds of advice: lexicographic advice,
contacts for translators and illustrators--there are probably a thousand
holes we might fall into.
If anyone has suggestions or advice, or would like to help us, I'd love to
hear from you.
Best wishes,
Tim Brookes
The Endangered Alphabets Project