[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] request to post a message

Katarzyna Janic katarzyna_maria.janic at uni-leipzig.de
Tue May 14 13:04:42 UTC 2019

Dear Madam/Sir,

I would like to post the following message:

Dear all,

In my crosslinguistic studies, I am interested in how languages code
(i) auto-benefactive (or ‘self-benefactive’) events and (ii)
other-benefactive events. The English pair: ‘Mary bought a book for
herself’ vs. ‘Mary bought a book for Tom’ reflects this opposition.
Most languages did not develop distinct forms to signal these two
grammatical meanings except for some language families spoken mainly
in Asia (e.g. Sino-Tibetan, Austroasiatic, Dravidian, Indo-Iranian,
Mongolic and in *Turkic).

Typically, the verbs ‘to take’ and 'to give’ serve this purpose i.e.
they encode auto- and other- benefactive meanings respectively.  I am
looking for some Sino-Tibetan languages that make a formal distinction
in expressing these two meanings in question. I would be grateful for
any references that would help me to extend my language sample.

The aim is to evaluate the length of self- and auto-benefactive forms
to check whether they build coding asymmetry and to explain it.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Best,

Katarzyna

--