[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] new data on Kusunda

Nathan Hill nh36 at soas.ac.uk
Mon Sep 23 14:08:24 UTC 2019

Dear All,

Since my statement has required two "clarifications," let me clarify that I
said that neither Watters or Donohue had released their DATA. The
information in a publication cannot be verified unless the DATA is
released. Also, it is very hard for new research to be done on a language
if there is not DATA available. Kusunda will be dead in a few years, and if
no DATA is available on it, then the works of Watters and Donohue will be
the last things ever written about the language.

Watters is unfortunately no longer with us, so his DATA is probably lost
forever. As for Donohue, why he is so reluctant to publish his DATA is a
mystery to me, despite having me asked him myself this question in Sydney
this summer. Particularly when the public funds research, it is a mystery
to me why researchers do not want the public to check the accuracy of their
work and build upon it.

In my original posting I did not make a mistake. Watters and Donohue hae
not published their DATA and Uday and Tim have.

thank you,
Nathan

--
Dr Nathan W. Hill
Reader in Tibetan and Historical Linguistics