[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] Himalayan Linguistics 20.3 is released!

Kristine Hildebrandt khildeb at siue.edu
Wed Jan 26 23:31:31 UTC 2022

I am pleased to announce the release of *Himalayan Linguistics* 20.3
(December 31, 2021), which is a themed issue on the Amdo Sprachbund, guest
edited by Keith W. Slater and Robert W. Fried.

https://escholarship.org/uc/himalayanlinguistics/20/3

In addition to an introduction provided by Slater, this themed issue
contains seven articles:

"The phonology of Gangou from a comparative perspective" by Richard Kerbs

"Differential argument marking and the multifunctional case marker -ha in
Wutun: Between the argument structure and information structure" by Erika
Sandman

"The grammaticalization of plurality in the languages of Amdo" by Camille
Simon

"Borrowing bound and free synonyms: How Mangghuer speakers enrich their
speech and their lexicon by creating synonymy with Chinese borrowings" by
Keith W. Slater

"Revisiting the Amdo Sprachbund: Genes, languages, and beyond" by Pui Yiu
Szeto

"Intertwined model of syntactic borrowing in the Gansu-Qinghai linguistic
area" by Dan Xu

"The locutor-referential pronoun in Zhoutun" by Chenlei Zhou

Also in *HL* 20.3 is an independent article by Henriette Daudey and Pincuo
Gerong: "‘A long foot crossing mountains’: Thirty-three annotated Pumi
riddles".

This year will hold some exciting changes and developments for *Himalayan
Linguistics*. After eight years at the helm, I am stepping down as editor
of this journal with the publication of this issue. It has been a wonderful
odyssey, and I hope that I have been able to contribute to the growth and
recognition of this journal. As I pivot to become a member of the editorial
board, the lead editorial structure will be handled by three esteemed
colleagues: Lauren Gawne, You-Jing Lin, and Gregory D.S. Anderson. Lauren
and Greg were past editorial and advisory board members and were
instrumental in helping with challenges such as peer reviewer
identification and discussions about journal management. You-Jing, along
with her student assistants, in addition to serving as an editorial board
member, has been a critically important ally and friend in the formatting
and publication process. I am grateful to Lauren, Greg, and You-Jing for
agreeing to move forward in this leadership role of *HL*, including some
planned updates and improvements to its operation. Please keep your eye on
the journal's home page in the coming months to see these changes put into
action.

https://escholarship.org/uc/himalayanlinguistics

I also would like to thank all of the members of the *HL* editorial and
advisory boards for their insight and collaborative spirit over these past
eight years.

Remember that *Himalayan Linguistics* is a completely open access and free
academic journal. This approach comes with many benefits to authors and
readers, but also demands a great deal of sustained time and effort from
entirely voluntary editorial and advisory teams. I am continuously awed and
grateful for their ongoing commitment to the survival and success of this
journal.

As always, if you are interested in submitting your work to *HL* for
peer-review and possible publication, please visit our web page. There you
can learn more about the scope of the journal and the submission policies.
You may also submit your manuscript for peer review by clicking on the
"Submit" button on the upper right side of the page and registering as an
author.

--
----
Orche

Kristine Hildebrandt
https://namedrop.io/kristineahildebrandt
Professor, English Language & Literature
<https://www.siue.edu/artsandsciences/english/faculty-staff/hildebrandt.shtml>
Co-Director, The IRIS Digital Humanities Center <https://iris.siue.edu/>
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
President, Endangered Language Fund <http://www.endangeredlanguagefund.org/>
Editor, *Himalayan Linguistics
<https://escholarship.org/uc/himalayanlinguistics>*

*Southern Illinois University Edwardsville exists on and serves a region
that includes the traditional homelands of The Illinois Confederacy,
including the Cahokia, Kaskaskia, Michigamea, Peoria, and Tamaroa; and the
Kiikaapoi (Treaty of Edwardsville, 1819), Myaamia, Aakiiwaki (Sauk),
Meskwaki (Fox), Ho-Chunk (Winnebago), Kaw, Missouria, Quapaw, Ponca, Omaha,
Osage, Onödowáʼga (Seneca), and others. Through this acknowledgment, their
contemporary and ancestral ties to the land and their contributions to the
University are renewed and reaffirmed. *