[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] Fwd: [Sealang-l] Dr. Jerry Edmondson, Emeritus Professor of UTA Linguistics (1941-2023)

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 05:14:59 UTC 2023

Begin forwarded message:

From: Doug Cooper <doug.cooper.thailand at gmail.com>
Subject: [Sealang-l] Fwd: Dr. Jerry Edmondson, Emeritus Professor of UTA Linguistics (1941-2023)
Date: 29 August 2023 at 11:28:57 AM GMT+8
To: SEALANG-L at listserv.linguistlist.org

[fwd from UTA Department of Linguistics And TESOL on behalf of Elliott, A Raymond]
Dear Linguistics & TESOL family,
It is with heavy heart that I announce the passing of our esteemed emeritus faculty member, Dr. Jerold A. Edmondson. I was told that Jerry passed peacefully in his sleep yesterday morning, August 27th, around 9am. Dr. Edmondson's contributions to academia, research, and the community have left an indelible mark that will continue to inspire generations to come.
Dr. Edmondson's remarkable journey was one defined by intellectual curiosity, dedication, and a profound commitment to the study of language and culture. After completing his doctoral studies in Germanic Linguistics at UCLA, he earned a Habilitation in General Linguistics from the Technical University Berlin in 1979, serving as an Assistant Professor of English and General Linguistics at the Technical University Berlin from 1976-1980. He then joined our university's faculty, serving as the founding director of the Linguistics program here, and going on to spend decades shaping the minds of countless students and colleagues alike. His warm demeanor, passion for teaching, and unwavering support for his students made him not just an educator, but a mentor and friend to many.
Throughout his illustrious career, Dr. Edmondson pioneered groundbreaking research in the field of linguistics with a particular focus on the documentation, analysis and preservation of indigenous languages spanning many continents. His seminal work on linguistic typology and documentation has enriched our understanding of the world's diverse languages and their intricate structures. Dr. Edmondson's dedication to preserving endangered languages not only highlighted his scholarly rigor but also his deep respect for cultural heritage.
As a prolific author, Dr. Edmondson's contributions to linguistic literature have been instrumental in shaping the discourse of the field. His numerous publications, research articles, books, and monographs, continue to serve as invaluable resources for linguists, researchers, and students worldwide.
Beyond his scholarly pursuits, Dr. Edmondson's kindness and humility resonated with all who had the privilege of knowing him. His willingness to engage in thoughtful conversations and his eagerness to collaborate showcased his genuine love for academia and his colleagues. I know this to be true from my personal experience with Dr. Edmondson and I will always remember him fondly for the profound impact he had on my own career.
We extend our heartfelt condolences to Dr. Edmondson's family, friends, former students, and colleagues. While we mourn the loss of a remarkable individual, we also celebrate the incredible life he led and the immeasurable impact he made on the world of linguistics and beyond.
Details about memorial services and ways to honor Dr. Edmondson's memory will be shared in the coming days.
My best,
Ray Elliott