[Tibeto-burman-linguistics] Fwd: MDPI

Randy LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 11:13:01 UTC 2023

Hi all,
After I forwarded Ralf Vollman’s CfP for a special issue of *Languages*, I
received the information below about the publisher:

*I hope you won't mind a quick note about MDPI, just to point out that this
is not really a reputable publisher, rather on the side of "predatory
publishers" that make money based on dubious editorial practices (sloppy
policy for acceptance) and abuse the good will of scholars...*

*The 'long read' is available on the Internet. Despite the company's
lobbying, the Wikipedia entry contains relevant information:*

*"MDPI's business practices have attracted criticism, with controversies
suggesting it sacrifices editorial and academic rigor in favor of
operational speed and business interests.[4]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDPI#cite_note-:4-4>[7]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDPI#cite_note-:5-7>[14]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDPI#cite_note-14>[15]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDPI#cite_note-Vrieze-15>[16]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDPI#cite_note-ASH2017-16> MDPI was included
on Jeffrey Beall's list
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beall%27s_List> of predatory open access
publishing
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predatory_open_access_publishing> companies
in 2014[17] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDPI#cite_note-Gillis-17>[18]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDPI#cite_note-Beall2014-18> but was removed
in 2015 following a successful appeal[16]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDPI#cite_note-ASH2017-16>[17]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDPI#cite_note-Gillis-17> while applying
pressure on Beall's employer.[19]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDPI#cite_note-biochemia-19> Some journals
published by MDPI have also been noted by the Chinese Academy of Sciences
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Academy_of_Sciences> and Norwegian
Scientific Publication Register
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Norwegian_Scientific_Publication_Register&action=edit&redlink=1>,
two major scientific bodies, for lack of rigour and possible predatory
practice.[20]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDPI#cite_note-Universitetsavisa2021-20>[21]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDPI#cite_note-khrono2021-21>[22]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDPI#cite_note-:3-22>"*

 I am sending this so people can make their own decision about whether to
publish there (Note: we are talking about the journal Languages, not the
Linguistic Society of America’s journal Language).

Randy