No subject

Johanna Laakso jolaakso at cc.helsinki.fi
Sat Oct 23 12:48:17 UTC 1999

From: kmatsum at tooyoo.l.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 21:13:47 +0900 (JST)
To: ura-list at helsinki.fi
Subject: Summary: Altsyrjaenische Schrift
Cc: kmatsum at tooyoo.l.u-tokyo.ac.jp

Dear Uralists!

I asked a couple of days ago whether there is a standard English
designation of << altsyrja"nische Schrift / drevnepermskaja azbuka >>.

I am grateful to the following people who took pains to enlighten me:

Pekka Sammallahti
Tiit-Rein Viitso
Cornelius Hasselblatt
Michael Everson
Eugene Helimski
Tapani Salminen
Vladimir Napolskikh

One thing is absolutely certain: no established single term exists for
this script in English.

I am proofreading my short Japanese-language article about this
alphabet and the editor considers it obligatory to provide (an) English
name(s) for it.

It seems that the "best" possible solution is to make no choice at all
and give all three major variants:

       Old Permic (Zyrian, Komi) script.

By the way, don't supporters of "Komi" and "Zyrian" alternatives want to
say anything about this alphabet entering into the "UNICODE" world as
"Old Permic script", I wonder?

Best,

Kazuto Matsumura
Univ. of Tokyo