Moderator's note

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at univie.ac.at
Thu Nov 17 14:16:38 UTC 2005

Dear Uralists,

until now, URA-LIST has been strictly moderated, i.e. every incoming message
was automatically resent to yours truly for approval, as this seemed to be
the only way to prevent spam. However, human moderation has its drawbacks:
it is time-consuming, on our mirror archive page all messages appear to be
coming from the moderator, and sometimes, the moderator may unwittingly
delete a posting that has unfortunately been sandwiched between spam
messages. (When bouncing messages to me, the listserver does not show the
original sender or the original subject anywhere near the header field, so
that it takes some scrolling to find out whether the message really comes
from a list member and deals with Uralic studies.)

So, from now on, URA-LIST will not be hand-moderated any more. However, to
prevent undesired postings, the word is free only for list members (NB: list
members writing from their subscriber address, i.e. the address the
listserver recognizes as a list member address). So: list members can send
their messages directly to ura-list at helsinki.fi (as before). All postings
from other addresses will be bounced to the moderator as before.

Should spam attacks or other problems turn up (as recently on the Hungarian
gender studies list, where something, perhaps a virus attack on a list
member¹s computer, triggered an avalanche of messages sent and re-sent over
and over again, plus a flood of "please unsubscribe me" messages from
frustrated list members sent to the list address), please contact me
directly, either on my address (below) or through my moderator identity
(ura-list-owner at helsinki.fi).

Best
Johanna
--
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Johanna Laakso
Institut für Europäische und Vergleichende Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaft

(un)subscribe ura-list my.own at email.address
Mirror archive: http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/ura-list.html