Mari chars for Windows?

Klaas Ruppel klaas.ruppel at kotus.fi
Tue Feb 12 12:22:26 UTC 2008

Fejes László kirjoitti 12.2.2008 kello 13.33:

> According to the letter, the missing characters are: Ӱ, Ӧ, Ҥ,
> Ӓ, Ӹ (у, о, а, ы with an "umlaut" and н with an upper right
> tail).

So, the characters in question are:

04A4 CYRILLIC CAPITAL LIGATURE GHE
04A5 CYRILLIC SMALL LIGATURE GHE
04D2 CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER A WITH DIAERESIS
04D3 CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER A WITH DIAERESIS
04E6 CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER O WITH DIAERESIS
04E7 CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER O WITH DIAERESIS
04F0 CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER U WITH DIAERESIS
04F1 CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER U WITH DIAERESIS
04F8 CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER YERU WITH DIAERESIS
04F9 CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER YERU WITH DIARESIS

The characters have already been incorporated into the Unicode
standard (and the official ISO/IEC 10646 as well).

> However, ö and ä are practically present in all fonts...

Please note, that this is a misunderstanding. In the Cyrillic script
the above mentioned Cyrillc letters are to be used. In the Latin
script the following Latin characters are used:

00C4 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH DIAERESIS
00D6 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH DIAERESIS
00E4 LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH DIAERESIS
00F6 LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH DIAERESIS

Mixing scripts is a mess and causes a lot of trouble.

I do not quite understand the point of the "open letter", since the
characters are standardised, fonts with wide Cyrillic are freely
available. See for example:
http://www.sil.org/computing/catalog/show_software_catalog.asp?
by=cat&name=Font

Regards,
Klaas Ruppel 	     www.kotus.fi/?l=en&s=1
Kotus                                                     www.kotus.fi
Focis                                                     www.focis.fi
Head of Department for Minority Languages
Research Institute for the Languages of Finland
Tel. +358 9 7315 268         Fax +358 9 7315 355