Mari chars for Windows?

Christopher Culver crculver at christopherculver.com
Tue Feb 12 12:38:02 UTC 2008

Klaas Ruppel <klaas.ruppel at kotus.fi> writes:
> I do not quite understand the point of the "open letter", since the
> characters are standardised, fonts with wide Cyrillic are freely
> available.

The point of the open letter is to ensure that Mari Cyrillic is fully
supported in future releases of the default Windows fonts so that
Mari-language content providers no longer have to fret about end-users
installing the appropriate fonts.

Of course, even were the call for Windows support successful, it
wouldn't help to swiftly bring the Mari community to a greater use of
Unicode. Often, computers in Mari El are antiquated, and I encountered
many Mari speakers using versions of Windows from the 1990s. Who knows
how many years would have to pass before these fonts were present by
default on the majority of computers in the Mari-speaking world.

My own response to this will be on my weblog tomorrow.

Christopher Culver
Graduate student, University of Helsinki
(un)subscribe ura-list my.own at email.address
Mirror archive: http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/ura-list.html