Applying Leipzig glossing rules

Kazuto Matsumura kazuto.matsumura at nifty.com
Tue Oct 13 00:09:09 UTC 2009

Dear Riho,

In order to fully appreciate your proposal (B), I need some enlightenment
because I am not particularly familiar with the Leipzig Glossing Rules.

Should the Sami and Mari examples imply that you want to gloss Finnish verb
forms, if need be, something like this?

e-t     tule-x
NEG-2SG come-CONNEG
e-tte   tule-x
NEG-2PL come-CONNEG

tule-x
come-IMP.2SG
tul-kaa
come-IMP.2PL
tul-kaa-mme
come-IMP-1PL

a"la        tule-x
NEG.IMP.2SG come-IMP
a"l-kaa     tul-ko
NEG-IMP.2PL come-IMP
a"l-kaa-mme tul-ko
NEG-IMP-1PL come-IMP

Best,
Kazuto Matsumura
Tokyo

rgruntha at mappi.helsinki.fi wrote:
(2009/10/09 21:58)

[...]

>Secondly (B), connegative forms of verbs are seldom marked overtly.
>The Leipzig glossing rules, for instance, do not include an
>abbreviation for connegative forms. However, in the Uralic languages
>the connegative verb form often diverges from the verb stem and could
>therefore be encoded. Moreover, the connegative usually corresponds to
>imperative 2SG forms that, in practice, always have to be encoded. So,
>in our view the connegative should be encoded as well as in the North
>Saami (5) and Mari (6a-b) examples.
>
>North Saami
>(5)	Dasgo ii oktage olmmos dahkkojuvvo vanhurskkisin
>	for NEG.3SG anyone human do-PASS.CONNEG righteous-ESS
>	‘No one will be made righteous…’
>
>Mari
>(6a)	tyshke tol!
>	this-LAT come.IMP.2SG