About the estimates of divergence times of Uralic languages

jphakkin at mappi.helsinki.fi jphakkin at mappi.helsinki.fi
Fri Oct 8 17:47:47 UTC 2010

Thank you, Terhi and Outi. A new question arises:

> Based on the locations of the given calibration points and amount of
> lexical differences between the languages, the program analyses the
> rates of changes of languages or language subfamilies.

Does this mean that it would be useful to “fork” out the fastest and
slowest evolving languages/branches to get some frames for the rate of
change? For example, both phonologically and lexically fastest
evolving Finnic language would be Livonian, I think; and the slowest
evolving… hmm, phonologically Vepsian? At the lexical level I’m not
sure.

It would be safe to compare the languages of the same branch, because
then we know that they (after the split) have developed the same time.
If the assumed intermediate protolanguages are those which we want to
study, then the calibration points could not be based on them.

Jaakko

(un)subscribe ura-list my.own at email.address
Mirror archive: http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/ura-list.html