Query

Florian Siegl florian.siegl at gmx.net
Tue Oct 30 11:13:03 UTC 2012

Thank you all who have contributed so far to this discussion. It is of
course too early to send a summary, but we are very pleased to see that
some kind of online discussion is possible on Ura-List.

I quickly want to comment, strictly personally, on several concerns
raised by Annika Pasanen. These were raised also in our seminars in
Helsinki.

First, I can live with the label old-fashioned, but I raise my voice and
object that what we intend to do is false. As I already mentioned in the
original query, this list is NOT to become a sanctioned list nor do we
intend to normalize discourse. In a pluralistic scientific community, we
have given some of our criteria how we arrived at "our" numbers and
invite comments. And of course, nobody is obliged to use them! But as a
good scientific principle, beside criticism one should be fair and
present an alternative classification! And en passant, you yourself have
used the "old-fashioned" 350.

Of course I understand your point of view concerning revitalization and
I think that the number is compatible with revitalized speakers who have
e.g. Inari Saami as another mother tongue. They would count as
"old-fashioned" native language speakers such as a bilingual Mordvin,
Mari or Enets (perhaps not for the census as there one has only one
mother tongue but for "old-fashioned" Uralic linguists who admit daily
bilingualism for the majority of Uralic languages). Yes, we can be
criticized for discriminating speech communities but I think that we are
here in good company. To the best of my knowledge, the Saami Parliament
does not take L2 speakers with non-Saami background as speaker of Saami.

An argument against L2 speakers we discussed in the seminars in Helsinki
was based on some recent Livonian examples in Estonian newspapers. Some
time ago, the number of potential Livonian speakers was given in one of
the dailies with almost 300, because a reporter just added all students
who over the years took classes in Livonian at the University of Tartu
as new speakers. Here, I as an "old-fashioned" linguist raise objections
because this viewpoint is clearly too naïve. Comparing it to my own
courses on Forest Enets, I have taught the structure of this language to
about 60 students over the years, but I won't classify any of those as a
new speaker of the language! I think, here we just have to confess that
there are multiple ways of classification and as long as we make our
criteria clear, there is room for more than just one number. Still, make
your criteria clear!

And concerning the second comment by Annika Pasanen: /If numbers of
speakers in this list are remarkably declined compared to earlier
estimations, there should be strong evidence about diminishing speakers.
There's no sense to replace conjectured estimation with another,
although there would be some kind of "common feeling", that there are
not so many speakers as it has been estimated./

This is precisely one of the reasons of this query. Too many people
doubt official numbers and offer their own speculative ones. Whereas the
decline of speakers of e.g. Forest Enets, Tundra Enets, Nganasan, Ume
Saami, Pite Saami, Akkala Saami is indisputable and possible to proof,
larger communities even as small as Inari and Skolt Saami already resist
such interpretations, not to speak of larger languages like Tundra
Nenets, Komi, Udmurt or Mordvin. As there are no acceptable means and
tools how to count every speaker of Mordvin, all we can do is interpret
census data with general demographic trends. At least some assumptions
from a social scientist outside linguistics have been incorporated. Of
course, we can be accused of replacing one estimation with another, but
one should make ones principles clear!

In the meanwhile another comment by Cornelius Hasselblatt arrived. In
the list under discussion Livonian is represented as (Latvia) meaning
used to be spoken in Latvia. As the last speaker is very likely not
speaking the language on a daily basis in Canada, we have not intended
to replace Latvia as the historical territory with Canada. This is going
into the same direction as the comments by Michael Riessler on how to
classify the new Skolt speakers in Norway. There is only one slight
difference: Skolt Saami was once spoken in Norway. I doubt that even in
the heydays of the Uralic Revolution, nobody would have assumed that
Canada was the Urheimat of Livonian. Nevertheless, this point is of
importance e.g. what to do with Diasporas in capitals e.g. Saamis in
Stockholm, Oslo, Helsinki; Maris in Saint Petersburg, Moscow or in Estonia?

Again, thank you very much for participation and we hope to gather more
comments, both online and offline!

Best wishes from Helsinki,

Florian Siegl