[Ura-list] *URGENT* IFUSCO 2016

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at univie.ac.at
Thu Aug 18 19:13:57 UTC 2016

Dear All,

after the last-minute cancellation of the International Finno-Ugrist Students' Conference of this year, due to reasons which the organizers-to-be in Khanty-Mansiisk were not willing to tell (except for a vague reference to the difficult political situation), the students in Helsinki have decided to organize the IFUSCO 2016 on 15-18 September. For further information please read below or visit their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/172866109783704 <https://www.facebook.com/events/172866109783704> . And please spread the word, as soon as possible! You can also contact the organizers at ifusco2016 at gmail.com .

Best
JL
--
Univ.Prof. Dr. Johanna Laakso
Universität Wien, Institut für Europäische und Vergleichende Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaft (EVSL)

IFUSCO XXXII, 15-18 September 2016 - Helsinki

The 2016 International Finno-Ugrist Students’ Conference IFUSCO will be held on 15-18 September 2016 in Helsinki. This conference is being held in place of the planned conference in Khanty-Mansiysk, which was postponed twice before finally being cancelled. We would like to demonstrate that IFUSCO will be held every year, regardless of any hardships we may face. The purpose of the conference is to foster our three-decades-long tradition of providing an opportunity for students in Finno-Ugric studies to present their research, network on an international level and create a sense of community spirit within the Finno-Ugric field. At the conference, we will also select the university that will organize IFUSCO in 2017.
Because the conference is being held with just one month’s notice (due to the last-minute cancellation of the Khanty-Mansiysk conference), we have decided that the conference will include an electronic camera broadcast, through which you can follow the conference (or even participate!) online from anywhere with an internet connection.

Preliminary program:

Thursday 15 September
Participants coming from far away arrive and get settled in
Informal evening gathering in the city

Friday 16 September
Participants coming from close by arrive
10:00 Registration of participants
10:30 Opening ceremony and welcome speeches
12:00–13:00 Lunch
13:00–17:00 Presentations in sections and workshops
18:00 Opportunity to participate in the meeting of the Finno-Ugric Society (incl. presentation)
19:00 Dinner
Saturday 17 September
10:00–13:00 Sections and workshops
13:00–14:00 Lunch
14:00–16:00 Closing ceremony and selection of host of 2017 IFUSCO
18:00– Conference dinner/Finnish sitsit party
Sunday 18 September
Departure of participants from far away

The IFUSCO 2016 conference is free of charge, but participants must pay for their own food and accommodation costs. We will try to find home accommodations for as many visitors as possible, and we can also recommend affordable accommodation options in the city. During the conference days, the participants will eat their lunches at the various restaurants or cafeterias in the area at their own expense. Please register in advance for the conference dinner on Saturday evening. The dinner will be organized as a “sitsit” party, a traditional Finnish student party. An important part of a sitsit party is singing, a form of celebration well known and appreciated in Finno-Ugric circles. The estimated price of the dinner is EUR 25/participant.

The conference also includes a guided tour of the Finno-Ugric program at the university, our libraries and their Finno-Ugric collections, as well as the Finno-Ugric Society and the M.A. Castrén Society.

All those interested in participating should register as soon as possible, by the beginning of September (1 September 2016) at the latest.

We are able to write visa invitations if necessary. Please notify us immediately if you need a visa invitation.

We require the following information for your registration:

Name: