[Ura-list] “Reading Hill Mari through Meadow Mari” published: rhm.mari-language.com

Jeremy Bradley jeremy.moss.bradley at univie.ac.at
Mon Sep 11 12:26:18 UTC 2017

Text from www.mari-language.com/press/release-rhm.php
кырык марла: www.mari-language.com/press/release-rhm.php?int=3
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mari-language.com%2Fpress%2Frelease-rhm.php%3Fint%3D3&h=ATNijMt_SZfT8vM2Jtew_JCvr5Ag1jIRtBxUUMq4gs4rn3hxtFjGMI18ucl30skQMSaDIyfeWnydo5TQmFWGeQ3bB1YAxfJoWV79pkx4Vwixj8ZtmWzz-e1mn2kqpIyRZtBWcTLAKkiu5sV0vfWfNKnH0iIqiO-oC2LEDC-0TbbdnUzD2zR6PG-GI-oimfBo067gsNpCnPR8TC9bY13ZZBA52i0kVGc8IL6dut_Ott0ql6A0r9HeZhxgH6doFNd2SwN3k7AlnCMlgZmindwEGTKcJNLNf4To>
олыкмарла: www.mari-language.com/press/release-rhm.php?int=1
<http://www.mari-language.com/press/release-rhm.php?int=1>
по-русски: www.mari-language.com/press/release-rhm.php?int=2
<http://www.mari-language.com/press/release-rhm.php?int=2>

---------------------------

Dear friends, colleagues, readers, and students,

Our second (of four) scheduled publications this year is now ready to be
downloaded: “Reading Hill Mari through Meadow Mari”. This 400-page book
introduces the second literary standard of Mari (used by less than 10%
of Maris, but nonetheless the working language of a vibrant culture and
literature) to students and scholars already acquainted with Meadow
Mari, the dominant literary standard of Mari that is now quite
accessible via various materials we have published on our website,
omj.mari-language.com.

Our new book cannot aspire to be a full-fledged reference grammar or a
textbook of Hill Mari optimized for the needs of beginners wishing to
actively learn Hill Mari, but does offer a comprehensive contrastive
overview of the phonology and morphology of the two literary standards
of Mari. This enables users to employ their knowledge of Meadow Mari to
access texts written in Hill Mari, by making them aware of the
systematic differences between the two literary norms. The book also
contains four trilingual (Hill Mari, Meadow Mari, English) reading texts
that allow students to practice their newly acquired skills and a
comprehensive trilingual glossary covering the vocabulary used in the book.

This publication was compiled in cooperation with Nadezhda Krasnova, a
linguist and native speaker of Hill Mari at Mari State University in
Yoshkar-Ola, and Tatiana Yefremova, a linguist and native speaker of
Meadow Mari at ELTE in Budapest. Its creation was made possible thanks
to a grant by the Kone Foundation (www.koneensaatio.fi/en/). Our
forthcoming Hill Mari lexicon, funded by the same grant, will continue
making Hill Mari more accessible to the outside world.

- Jeremy Bradley (Munich), Timothy Riese (Vienna)

--
Jeremy Bradley, Ph.D.
Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich

http://www.mari-language.com