[Ura-list] Margarita Ivanova in memoriam

Esa-Jussi Salminen ejsalminen at gmail.com
Tue May 19 22:05:06 UTC 2020

  Dear URA-LIST community,

12th of May Udmurt archaeologist, doctor of history Margarita Ivanova
passed away. She was mainly known for her studies of the ancient Udmurt
fortified settlement Idnakar.

She was born in 1945. Until her death she was actively writing her next
book. She never retired just like most of the finno-ugric researchers in
Russia.  She is the author of more than 300 publications about ancient
times, amog them many books.

Margarita Ivanova was said to be the mother of Idnakar. Now all the 100 000
items founded in that unique place remained orphans waiting for new
researchers.

Margarita Ivanova was the face of the Udmurt Scientific Research Institute  in
Izhevsk, where she worked most of her life. She was an elegant, calm and
honest person.

 I think she was quite happy in 1997 when I appeared to her Institute as an
exchange student almost not at all knowing Russian then. Margarita Ivanova
was to give some lectures for me: she explained every detail of the most
beautiful items found in Idnakar with a very good Udmurt terminology. For
me it was one of the moments to understand all possibilities Udmurt
language was to open.

With sincere condolences to the national community of researchers of
Udmurtia and to all friends and colleagues

Esa-Jussi Salminen

--
http://esa-jussisalminen.puheenvuoro.uusisuomi.fi
http://esa-jussisalminen.vapaavuoro.uusisuomi.fi