[Ura-list] Solidarity with Ukraine

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at univie.ac.at
Tue Mar 1 21:09:15 UTC 2022

Dear URA-LIST subscribers,

a colleague just contacted me, suggesting that a letter in the name of us all be sent to the list, telling that the Uralicists of the world strictly condemn Putin’s aggression and that we stand in solidarity with the people of Ukraine. As all of us certainly understand, this situation is of particular significance for us: Russia is the state in which most Uralic languages are spoken, and as its military actions or their international repercussions will harm and damage its own citizens as well, among those who suffer will also be many speakers of "our" languages and many colleagues of ours.

I fully agree about the importance of this proposal, and so will certainly many of us. However, the URA-LIST community is not an institution with elected or nominated leadership, and nobody is entitled to speak in the name of us all. What I believe could be possible would be an open letter or a group petition signed by researchers of Uralic languages and cultures; if anybody wants to take this initiative, please feel free to use this list for further discussion.

Another option could be simply to join, support and propagate the numerous anti-war statements already issued by universities, academies, scholarly societies and other institutions in many countries. Perhaps of particular interest in this respect is the open letter signed by numerous renowned scholars in Russia, including many members of the Russian Academy of Sciences and also some linguists well known in our circles: https://trv-science.ru/2022/02/we-are-against-war/ <https://trv-science.ru/2022/02/we-are-against-war/> . (English version: https://www.eureporter.co/world/russia/2022/02/24/an-open-letter-from-russian-scientists-and-science-journalists-against-the-war-with-ukraine/ <https://www.eureporter.co/world/russia/2022/02/24/an-open-letter-from-russian-scientists-and-science-journalists-against-the-war-with-ukraine/> . Finnish translation: https://www.hs.fi/ulkomaat/art-2000008645677.html <https://www.hs.fi/ulkomaat/art-2000008645677.html> .)

My own university, as part of the university network CENTRAL, has just issued a statement sharply condemning the invasion of Ukraine: https://medienportal.univie.ac.at/presse/aktuelle-pressemeldungen/detailansicht/artikel/statement-of-central-on-the-invasion-of-ukraine-by-the-russian-federation/ <https://medienportal.univie.ac.at/presse/aktuelle-pressemeldungen/detailansicht/artikel/statement-of-central-on-the-invasion-of-ukraine-by-the-russian-federation/> . Very probably, many of you can show similar statements by their home institutions. Please feel free to share the links here, and also to discuss whether there is anything more specific we could do.

Best
jl

--
Univ.Prof. Dr. Johanna Laakso
Universität Wien, Institut für Europäische und Vergleichende Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaft (EVSL)