Query on scope & membership

Ruth Laila Schmidt r.l.schmidt at EAST.UIO.NO
Tue Jun 1 10:37:05 UTC 1999

          John Peterson, University of Munich, Germany
Details:  Send email to listserv at listserv.syr.edu and say INFO VYAKARAN

>VYAKARAN: South Asian Languages and Linguistics Net
>Editors:  Tej K. Bhatia, Syracuse University, New York
>          John Peterson, University of Munich, Germany
>Details:  Send email to listserv at listserv.syr.edu and say INFO VYAKARAN
>Archives: http://listserv.syr.edu

Dear Members,

I agree with Michael Witzel on widening the list to philology as defined by
him.  However this is only one definition of the word "philology" in the
dictionary, and not all those who wish to participate may understand the
term in the same way Prof. Witzel does. Still, nothing ventured, nothing
gained.

With best wishes,

Ruth Schmidt

>Dear Members,
>Fist of all congratulations to John Peterson (Munich) and   Tej Bhatia
>(Syracuse) for sucessfully re-constituting the list.
>
>Many of us have been dissatisfied with the type of discussion we seen in
>the by now almost 10 years old INDOLOGY list: too much casteism,
>nationalism,  Aryan/Dravidian=North/South problems, simple traditionalism,
>-- and certainly too much useless input by 1st generation immigrant
>computer engeneers, etc. who do not know a thing about linguistics,
>philology etc.
>
>So why not shift *that* part of our discussions to VYAKARAN?
>
>If the listowners agree to widen the field form pure grammar and
>linguistics to Philology in general, understood as "the study of
>Indo-Iranian,South Asian civilizations based on their texts."
>
>We could still send a copy to INDOLOGY. But have our discussions here,
>without undue interference. That would require, of course, some
>restrictions on membership of this list:
>Such as (graduate) students or professors of linguistics, philology, allied
>subjects (archaeology, genetics etc.)
>
>So what do the listowneres think?

Ruth Laila Schmidt
Dept of East European and Oriental Studies
University of Oslo
P.O. Box 1030 Blindern
N-0315 Oslo, Norway
Phone: (47) 22 85 55 86