Bir Hor

John Peterson John.Peterson at GERMANISTIK.UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Thu Apr 6 12:32:59 UTC 2000

Hello!

Would anyone on the list happen to have first-hand knowledge of whether or not the Munda language BIR HOR, closely related to Mundari and Santali, is still spoken and where?

Data on this language seems to be very contradictory - while it's been in the Census a few times, each time with a different amount of speakers, it seems to have been omitted in some versions of the Census, only to reappear at a later date. It's also listed in the "Ethnologue" as having somewhere between 590 and 1,500 speakers.

Does anyone have current, RELIABLE information on this language and where it is still in use? Also, if anyone is aware of published texts written in Bir Hor since Grierson I'd very much appreciate it if you could let me know.

Many thanks in advance!

John