An etymology

Peter Claus pclaus at CSUHAYWARD.EDU
Thu Apr 19 13:54:00 UTC 2001

          John Peterson, University of Munich, Germany

Thank you all for your quick and informative responses to my question
about the etymologies for the words in Indian languages referring to
puppets, dolls, images, etc.

It does not seem the words for puppet in the Indo-European languages are
cognate with the Tulu bombe, Kannada bombe/gombe, Telugu bomma. It does
seems the further north one goes in the Dravidian family (at least as
far as South and Central are concerned) there is a greater association
with words connected to the eye (eye, eyebrow, eyeball, pupil of the
eye), which suggests at least a semantic influence.

To my knowledge, in Tulu and Kannada there is no direct association with
any part/aspect of the physical eye; although, there is a connotation of
'a (large?) round, empty shape' with words beginning with bom-, such as
bomme, 'a stupid person' meaning, I think, 'empty headed' or even, as we
might say today, 'air head.' It could be that the eye, and esp. the
pupil, is such a thing, too.

The IE semantic association of eye and puppet is etymologically
fascinating, of course, but the 'explanation' via images reflected in
the eyeball leaves, for me, something to be desired.

For Kalyanamalini Sahoo:

When you refer to the Sauraa language below, is it to the language in
the Munda (Sora, Saora, Savara, Saura, Swara) family or the one in the
Dravidian family (Savara)? Or are these all the same language?

For Nicolas Oster:

I remember reading an article or section of a book (the same?) in grad.
school years ago advancing the "image in the eye" explanation. What is
the reference, again? I forgot.

Peter