'Dravidian' echo-phrase pali-giri

Jim Wilce jim.wilce at NAU.EDU
Wed Dec 12 18:57:53 UTC 2001

>VYAKARAN: South Asian Languages and Linguistics Net
>Editors:  Tej K. Bhatia, Syracuse University, New York
>           John Peterson, University of Osnabrueck, Germany
>Details:  Send email to listserv at listserv.syr.edu and say: INFO VYAKARAN
>Subscribe:Send email to listserv at listserv.syr.edu and say:
>           SUBSCRIBE VYAKARAN FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME
>           (Substitute your real name for first_name last_name)
>Archives: http://listserv.syr.edu
>
>I think that Emeneau has also dealt with echo-word reduplication in his
>`India as Linguistic Area," Lg., 32, 1, 1956. article, which might give
>some insights about this item.  [pali-giri] doesn't seem like a pakka
>Dravidian form to me, since the [-ri] part isn't a true reduplication (or
>echo) of the [li] part.  Maybe this article, which deals with echo-word
>reduplication as part of the Indian lingusitic area (I think!) may have
>some insights about this.

Emeneau indeed dealt with echo-word reduplication in that article.
Tagore, writing in Bengali, did as well.
--
Jim Wilce
       Associate Professor of Anthropology

fax 520/523-9135
office ph. 520/523-2729
email jim.wilce at nau.edu
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jmw22/ (includes information on my 1998 book,
Eloquence in Trouble: The Poetics and Politics of Complaint in Rural
Bangladesh, ISBN 0-19-510687-3)
http://www.nau.edu/asian