grammaticality

Tej Bhatia tkbhatia at MAILBOX.SYR.EDU
Wed Jun 12 04:27:20 UTC 2002

Dear all,

I am coding some Hindi child language samples, and came across
some sentences which got me wondering about the grammaticality
of the following types of sentences:

(1) yeh saaDii mai.n ne pehenii huii hai.
(2) aise phal mai.n ne khaaye hue hai.n.
(3) mai.n ne idhar biskut chupaa kar rakhe hue hai.n.
(4) idhar biskut rakhe hue hai.n.
(5) aurat salwaar kamiiz pehene huii thii.

A colleague of mine and I feel that "hue" can be used in intransitive
constructions (with a stative reading) and is usually incompatible
with "-ne", but I was wondering whether (1) to (3) are really infrequent
in
colloquial speech.  Are all of these sentences are equally acceptable
to other speakers of Hindi?

I would be very grateful for any comments on this.

Thanks very much,
Bhuvana Narasimhan

Bhuvana Narasimhan
Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics
E-mail address: bhuvana at mpi.nl
<http://www.mpi.nl/world/persons/profession/bhuvana.html>http://www.mpi.nl/world/persons/profession/bhuvana.html
Mailing address: P.O. Box 310, 6500 AH Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Street address: Wundtlaan 1, 6525 XD Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Tej K. Bhatia
Professor
Linguistics & Cognitive Sciences
Chancellor's Exceptional Academic Excellence Professor

312 HBC, Syracuse University
Syracuse, New York 13244-1160
email: tkbhatia at mailbox.syr.edu
http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/southasiacenter/Faculty/Tej/Default.htm