grammaticality

Peter Hook pehook at UMICH.EDU
Tue Jun 11 17:16:26 UTC 2002

Dear Bhuvana and other Friends,

       In written Hindi the <ne>, it seems, is not preferred with the NP
subject of predicative stative participial constructions. Exx from Godan:

<rm<21703>rm> aura gobara camaacama buuTa pahane hue t'aa/

<rm<06007>rm> duusarii mahilaa jo UUcii eRii kaa juutaa pahane hue hAI ...

<rm<18830>rm> Sob'aa ne kahaa -- taaRii to piye hue ho ...

rather than <tumane> is the form of the zeroed subject.)

       But finding these exx is not to say that <ne> cannot be (or is not)
used with the subject NPs of such participial constructions in colloquial
registers of Hindi and Urdu.

        All the best,

                Peter Hook