data from Maithili

sarju devi sarjudevi at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 7 06:47:26 UTC 2003

Hi Fumi Niinuma,
I found a native speaker of Maithali in my dept and he says
sentence(3)is better.For further comments you can contact him at
his email address given here.lotuskamalin at yahoo.com I hope this
mail finds you in good health.
bye,
SARJU.

 --- fumikazu niinuma <fniinuma at YAHOO.COM> wrote: > Dear
sir/madam,I am Fumi Niinuma, a grad student at UConn.I
> would like to know the following judgementsin Maithili. This
> is very important under myanalysis, so I really want to know
> the status ofthe following data, which is given below:(2)
> Har?-j?-k?1    lag-ait      ch-ainh           H-h-dat
> seem-IP      aux-3hNN    [je           t1   khu??
> bhe-l-ainh]    comp              happy      be-PT-3hNN  ‘Hari
> seems to have been happy’(3)  Har?-j?-k?1     lag-ait
> ai-ch       H-h-dat         seem-IP      3-Aux          [je
>      t1   khu??      bhe-l-ainh]      comp             happy
>   be-PT-3hNN     'Hari seems to have been happy’In (2), the
> matrix verb shows the non-nominative agreement with the raised
> dative subject.On the other hand, (3) shows that the dative
> subject does not undergo any agreementwith the matrix verb.
> Which one sounds better? If any of you judge the acceptability
> of the following data, could you please let me know? Thank you
> very much,Fumikazu
>  Niinumafniinuma at yahoo.com

> Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design
software

=====
Sarju Devi
Department of Linguistics