Linguistic tone and song in Indo-Aryan

Peter Hook pehook at UMICH.EDU
Mon Apr 19 17:07:36 UTC 2004

Dear Joan,
        You may find it useful to look at the relation between pitches and
tones in the Chinese "ci". Most of the "ci" melodies have been lost but
there are 4 or 5 from the Sung Dynasty that were somehow preserved.
        However, I'm not optimistic that you will find any relationship.
While some classical Chinese prosodies require the placement of words
having specified tones at certain points in a line of poetry, I have not
heard of lexical tone having any relation to the pitches in a melody. On
the contrary, in Chinese, tonal distinguishes disappear altogether when
one sings. I suspect that will turn out to be the case in Panjabi, SHina,
Kohistani, and other S Asian tone languages, too.

        All the best,

                Peter