Information about language name: Belagu?

Maggie Ronkin ronkinm at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 26 14:49:12 UTC 2004

Accd to a quick Google:

The spelling given may have some association with Kannada, a Dravidian
language. (The page that I found is in Kannada, so perhaps a Kannada speaker
can assess this association.)

[Of course, the Kannada Balaga UK is the Association of the Kannada speaking
community in the UK.
There's also a Kannada Balaga of Chennai and even one in Charleston, West
Virginia!]

In Indonesian, "belagu" means "a put on".

The spelling "Belaga" refers to the last major town in the upper Rejang
valley, Malaysia.

There's a Balagu (Tibetan) refugee camp, which, I supsect, is in Nepal near
Kathmandu.

[Miss Nepal's favorite pass time is Tirupti Balagu, according to her
website.]

There's a Balagu South Electoral District in Yendi, Ghana.

Additional information about the family could prove to be helpful.

Regards
Maggie