Unknown deity

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Thu Jul 21 18:19:15 UTC 2005

I think the snake is not Kaliya, but just a naga stone, a fairly standard icon, which may well have no connection to the statue.  They are discussed in Jean Philippe Vogel's classic Indian Serpent-Lore (1st ed., 1926).

Allen Thrasher

Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D., Senior Reference Librarian
South Asia Team, Asian Division
Library of Congress, Jefferson Building 150
101 Independence Ave., S.E.
Washington, DC 20540-4810
tel. 202-707-3732; fax 202-707-1724; athr at loc.gov
The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress.

>>> bk_rana at YAHOO.COM 07/21/05 1:17 PM >>>

Every hindu good or goddess  wears 'sari' kind of thing with a little variety. But yes, she seems to be a female deity. Her the part tells that.

And, I don't see any mouse either. That is serpent  king Kaliya.  Myth tells Krishana had once suppressed 'Kaliya' . But the deity is not any of Krishana too. Krishana  does not have four hands.

Rana