name this category

Bob Eaton pete_dembrowski at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 17 15:02:45 UTC 2006

Thanks for the help with the "name this construction" question I had. Now I have a question about references related to word categories for this phenomena, which Indo-Aryan languages show us that we (or at least, I) "didn't know before".

Specificially, I-A languages show us that there something somehow related between these sets of words:

      yahaa.n
     wahaa.n
     kahaa.n
     jahaa.n

      PRX-LOC
     DST-LOC
     INTR-LOC
     REL-LOC

      isko
     usko
     kisko
     jisko

      PRX-3SG-DAT
     DST-3SG-DAT
     INTR-3SG-DAT
     REL-3SG-DAT

The former ones I would want to call "Adverbs" since they relate to location.

The latter ones I would want to call "Pronouns" since they relate to things standing for nouns.

Deixis works for "PRX" and "DST", but in anyone's mind are "INTR" (interrogative) and/or "REL" (relative) related to Deixis? Or perhaps a supracategory like "exophora"?

But it would be nice if we had a single category that captured this similarity.

Has anyone done a good treatment of this?

Thanks in advance,

Bob