name this category

narayan prasad prasad_cwprs at YAHOO.CO.IN
Thu Nov 30 08:26:38 UTC 2006

Panini derives the adverbs from pronouns (sarva, yat, tat, kim, idam, adas...) by adding different suffixes to them under the suutras P.5.3.1-26.

  Examples:

    sarva (all) ---> sarvatra (everywhere)
    yat (which/that) ---> yatra (where = "jahaa.N")
    tat (that) ---> tatra (there="vahaa.N")
    kim (what ?) ---> kutra (where ? = "kahaa.N")
    adas (this) ---> atra (here="yahaa.N")

    idam (this) ---> iha (here = "yahaa.N")

  In oblique cases the "ya" in yah & "va" in "vah" get modified to "i" & "u" respectively which are technically called "samprasAraNa".

  --- Narayan Prasad

Bob Eaton <pete_dembrowski at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
    Thanks for the help with the "name this construction" question I had. Now I have a question about references related to word categories for this phenomena, which Indo-Aryan languages show us that we (or at least, I) "didn't know before".

  Specificially, I-A languages show us that there something somehow related between these sets of words:

          yahaa.n
    wahaa.n
    kahaa.n
    jahaa.n
      PRX-LOC
    DST-LOC
    INTR-LOC
    REL-LOC

          isko
    usko
    kisko
    jisko
      PRX-3SG-DAT
    DST-3SG-DAT
    INTR-3SG-DAT
    REL-3SG-DAT

  The former ones I would want to call “Adverbs” since they relate to location.
  The latter ones I would want to call “Pronouns” since they relate to things standing for nouns.

  Deixis works for “PRX” and “DST”, but in anyone's mind are “INTR” (interrogative) and/or “REL” (relative) related to Deixis? Or perhaps a supracategory like “exophora”?

  But it would be nice if we had a single category that captured this similarity.

  Has anyone done a good treatment of this?

  Thanks in advance,
  Bob