Resources on Central Asian languages -- Request for leads

Nicholas Ostler nicholas at OSTLER.NET
Mon Aug 9 15:13:39 UTC 2010

  On 09/08/2010 15:31, Cynthia Groff wrote:
> VYAKARAN: South Asian Languages and Linguistics Net
> Editors:  Tej K. Bhatia, Syracuse University, New York
>            John Peterson, University of Osnabrueck, Germany
> Details:  Send email to listserv at listserv.syr.edu and say: INFO VYAKARAN
> Subscribe:Send email to listserv at listserv.syr.edu and say:
>            SUBSCRIBE VYAKARAN FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME
>            (Substitute your real name for first_name last_name)
> Archives: http://listserv.syr.edu
>
> Greetings all,
>
> I am working on a compilation of resources currently available for the teaching and study of Central Asian languages and language policies.
>
> This includes print and electronic resources on the languages in and around Afghanistan: background and general information on the region and languages of the region, language policies of the region and of specific countries, and language learning resources. Languages to be covered include but are not be limited to Pashto; Balochi (along with Saraiki, Sindhi, and some other Pakistani languages); Dari and other varieties of Persian, as well as Tajik; Turkic languages such as Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Uyghur, and Uzbek; and Mongolian.
>
> Would any of you be able to point me to current resources related to these languages, particularly those published within the past ten years?
>
> Your help much appreciated!
>
> Cynthia Groff
>

> --------------
>
> Cynthia Groff, PhD
> Educational Linguistics
> University of Pennsylvania

One such item is FEL's most recent proceedings volume

978-0-9560210-1-4
Endangered Languages and History: Proceedings of the Conference FEL
xiii, 24-26 September 2009, Khorog, Tajikistan (Proceedings of the
Foundation for Endangered Languages) [Paperback]
Hakim Elnazarov (Author, Editor), Nicholas Ostler (Editor)

This contains articles about many Central Asian languages, past and
present (as well as other languages):  most are in English, but some of
them are written in Tajik, Dari or Russian. All have English abstracts.

A summary of the titles of the articles can be read at
www.ogmios.org/conferences/2009/proceed2009.htm

The book is available for online order (even without FEL membership) from
https://secure1.let.uu.nl/elsnet/fel/membership_form.html

or directly from me at 20 pounds per copy (including surface postage).

--
Nicholas Ostler

nicholas at ostler.net
+44 (0)1225-852865, (0)7720-889319

Chairman: Foundation for Endangered Languages
www.ogmios.org

Author: Empires of the Word (2005),
Ad Infinitum (2007), The Last Lingua Franca (2010)
www.nicholasostler.com