Savarkar, Hindutva (closure)

Madhukar N. Gogate mngogate1932 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 12 09:44:20 UTC 2010

Subject >> Savarkar, Hindutva    Pune, 12 March 2010
I received many comments by email, phones etc. I give
briefly few. Think over. Thanks, I close the topic - MNG

Comment 1
Important points have been raised. Food for thought.

Comment 2
Instances of Christian terrorism in north-east states.
Monetary temptations too.

Comment 3
Social reform is slow process, spread on many years
and generations. Present day Hindus dont subscribe
to Untouchability. They are sorry their ancestors had
practised it. Muslim society very very slow to reforms.
Ofcourse many patriotic Muslims have enriched India.

Comment 4
In view of Tikekar's letter, MNG's apology is sporting.
Terrorists kill innocents, some of their religion too.

Comment 5
Educate Western media. They say a "Hindu" fanatic
killed Gandhi. They dont say that "Christian" fanatic
killed Lincoln, or Kennedy.

Comment 6
Basically Hindus tolerant, peace-loving. Jews, Parsis
of foreign origin settled in India comfortably.

Comment 7
In 2002, terrorism deaths were less in Kashmir, much
more in Gujarat, a record number in that decade.

Comment 8
"The Roots of Terrorism" year 2009, edited by Anand
Shankar (Shraddha Prakashan, Delhi) is eye-opener.
It contains articles, by many intellectuals. One says
that there are 32000 Madarsas in India having 74000
teachers and 18 lakh students, getting huge finances
from oil rich middle-east. They teach students to hate
non-Muslims, eventually become terrorists (Jihad etc).

Comment 9
Savarkar was great patriot. He was against casteism
and untouchability. His Devanagari script reforms are
irrelevant now, since computers tackle traditional lipi.

Comment 10
There are high-caste sammelans too. Their leaders
emphasize on using sacred thread (jaanve), though
probably 90% audience do not wear it. They forced
a Professor to apologize when the Professor spoke
that the thread has lost relevance, is out-of-date.

Comment 11
Why exodus > Marathi to English medium schools?
The real reason (not openly stated) is many parents
of high caste students dont want mixing with others.
Convent schools (no Govt aid) expensive for others.
Also, English language fluency essential for career.

Comment 12
Education in mothertongue is good, but what about
Nation-Building ? America is a melting pot, forcing
non-English-speaking immigrants to study English,
all work in English (mothertongue in homes, clubs).
English language worked as their powerful cement.
I have apologized to Mr. Aroon Tikekar. To amend error,
I circulate (BCC) apology & previous mails to all, whom
I had sent my mail subject "Savarkar, Hindutva". I have
omitted Tikekar's email-id, to keep his privacy. -- MNG

--- On Sun, 7/3/10, Madhukar N. Gogate