Question about city names that are being renamed

Madhukar N. Gogate mngogate1932 at YAHOO.COM
Fri May 20 07:57:20 UTC 2011

Regarding renaming of cities, I know Mumbai is the name
used in Marathi and Gujarati for a long time, even before
the end of British rule in 1947. I was born in that city in
1932 in a Marathi family. Bambai was the name used by
Hindi-speakers. When the city expanded (with merger of
some suburbs), it was called Greater Bombay in English,
Brihanmumbai in Marathi. Public buses displayed BEST
(shortfrom of Bombay Electric Supply and Transport Co.)
To continue it (and not have MEST), authorities accepted
Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport Company
as official name. Mumbai is used now in Hindi too. I live
in Pune since 1997. What used to happen was that trains
were called Poona Express, Poona Mail. So dual names
were needed during transition. Now names Mumbai, Pune,
Nashik, Solapur are in use, for Bombay, Poona, Nasik,
Sholapur (British-given names). Where Government or
Government grants are involved, new official names
are used (such as Mumbai University). But we still have
names like Bombay Gymkhana, Bombay Chamber of
Commerce which are private bodies. They cannot be
forced to change names, under Freedom of Expression,
a Constitutional right. By the way, some name distortion
takes place in many languages. London is called
Londres in French. English is called Ingraji, in Marathi.
India is British name for Hindustan. Marathi people use
the window of English for foreign cities. End (s) is silent in
the French language in word (Paris), not so in English
and Marathi.

-- Madhukar N. Gogate (www.mngogate.com)