Question about city names that are being renamed

Lakshmi Srinivas lsrinivas at YAHOO.COM
Fri May 20 11:59:55 UTC 2011

Re Prof Schiffman's comments on Chennai, there are additional aspects to be
considered, I feel:

1. Many of the cities prominent today had no old and traditional names. Many
were just fishing or trading villages which in time grew to being big cities. So
the name itself might have had currency only from Colonial times. Sometimes more
than one name might have been used.
2. In the case of Chennai, the name Chennapatnam  is said to be the local name
dating back to the late 17th century. However this name would have got reduced
in currency over the centuries as British administrative name for this city was
Madras. Nevertheless, in Tamil and Telugu the name was always used albeit in
short form as 'patnam' ('The City'). My own late father (Madras born and raised)
and all his relatives always refered to Madras in ordinary conversation as
'patnam'. My Mothers' family, from Thanjavur, likewise used the term 'patnam'
for Madras. I daresay 'patnam' was the pre 1950's Spoken Standard Tamil name for
the city :) Also, most Tamil, Telugu, grantha books printed in the 30's or
before, seem to refer to the city as 'Chennai(i)pat(ta)nam'.

Over a period of time, Madras seems to have superseded 'patnam' completely. The
fact that a strange name like 'Madras' - blessed by Colonial administration -
completely superseded a native name like 'patnam' can also be seen in the fact
that even in Tamil, the name 'Madras' has many different spellings. Again, in
Malayalam, it has a completely different spelling than any of the Tamil ones.
 'Chennai' on the other hand is spelt the same way in Telugu, Tamil and
Malayalam. Perhaps in this case, we should consider this as a case of a foreign
name, though not English,  completely  replacing the native name. This has been
reversed now.

Hope tis helps,

Lakshmi Srinivas