Language irregularities.

Paul Kiparsky kiparsky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Mon May 23 06:05:41 UTC 2011

Languages can indeed have odd and "illogical" features, but they can also be illusions due to mistranslation into another language (often based on etymology rather than actual meaning).  So I'm curious about the Marathi expression you translate as "insert in".  Could it really mean something like "attach to" or "put on"?  In that case, it should also be possible in Marathi to describe hanging a picture ("inserting it in the wall"), putting on a ring ("inserting it in your finger"), and so on.

Paul Kiparsky