World Wide Words -- 06 Jun 09

Thu Jun 4 03:18:24 UTC 2009

WORLD WIDE WORDS            ISSUE 642          Saturday 6 June 2009
Sent each Saturday to at least 50,000 subscribers by e-mail and RSS
http://www.worldwidewords.org       US advisory editor: Julane Marx

      A formatted version of this e-magazine is available
      online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/jhic.htm

   To leave the list or change your subscribed email address,
     see Section A below or go to http://wwwords.org?SUBS

     This e-magazine is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font.

HOLIDAYS  I'm still away. By all means send your questions and Sic!
items together with your comments on the items in this issue, but
don't expect an answer before the middle of June at the earliest.

2. Weird Words: Adumbrate   /@'dVmbreIt/
There are shadowy associations to this word. It comes from a Latin
verb that itself derives from "umbra", a shadow, which has also
given us umbrella, sombre, and umbrage.

All the English senses have figurative associations with dimness or
shade. The principal one today is "report or represent in outline",
to sketch dimly in words, one might say, which is very close to the
sense of the Latin. If it's not a word in your working vocabulary,
that's hardly a surprise, since it has always tended to turn up in
academic or formal prose:

    Feeble is human speech to deal with such high matters,
    serving, at the best, but dimly to adumbrate ineffable
    truths.
    [The Contemporary Review, January 1883.]

It can also mean to indicate something faintly or merely hint at
it, to foreshadow or prefigure a future event, or to overshadow or
obscure something. Here's an example of the hinting sense:

    Perhaps Lessing's point, merely adumbrated, is that
    the long Edwardian afternoon would have entailed a
    continuation of the great Edwardian philanthropy,
    otherwise brutally curtailed.
    [The Spectator, 24 May 2008.]

3. Recently noted
HOLIDAY AT HOME!  Perhaps it's because my mind has been on holidays
but it's very noticeable how in recent weeks the US "staycation" (a
stay-at-home vacation, taking day trips to local attractions from
home) is being used by the British press in reports, for example,
about traffic congestion on public holidays or the prospects for
the UK domestic holiday market. Compounds such as "staycationer"
and "staycationing" mark its increasing acceptance. Its appearance
in the UK is a little odd, since in British English "vacation" has
traditionally been a formal term, used for universities, Parliament
and the courts. People take holidays. Clearly, the US "vacation"
has become sufficiently familiar through the media to allow the
term to catch on. On the other hand, we haven't, as yet, taken up
the less popular US "naycation" - not just holidaying in your own
area, but staying at home and not going anywhere.

AGGRO  British speakers rarely come across the verb "aggress", a
back-formation from "aggression", meaning to commit aggression or
act aggressively. But then, so far as I can find out, it's not that
common anywhere. If I were to read the sentence, "Two journalists
were aggressed by police", I would pause for a moment to let a
slight dizzy feeling pass. Then I looked up the verb in the Oxford
English Dictionary: surprisingly, the first use in the modern sense
is given as 1714 and Herbert Spencer is quoted from 1851: "The
moral law says - Do not aggress." But what appears to be fairly new
is a sense of being a victim of aggression: "They were the
aggressors, and we were getting aggressed" (Columbia Daily Tribune,
Dec. 2008) and "Being British is actually about feeling aggressed,
mistrustful, overlooked [and] powerless" (Guardian, 18 May). I am
gently aggressed by the usage.

4. Q and A: Cagmag
Q. My dad has a word that I've often wondered about: "cag-mag" for
cheap sugary foods (he also uses it for my mum's baking!). [Alex
Wade]

A. Cheeky devil. If I were your mum, I'd give him a belt round the
ear.

"Cagmag" is an intriguing bit of British dialect that starts to be
recorded in the eighteenth century. It has had several senses, all
of them disparaging, though never referring specifically to cheap
sugary foods. The oldest references are to geese:

    Vast numbers are driven annually to London, to supply
    the markets; among them all the superannuated geese and
    ganders (called here Cagmags) which serve to fatigue the
    jaws of the good Citizens, who are so unfortunate as to
    meet with them.
    [A Tour in Scotland, by Thomas Pennant, 1772. Despite
    the title, Pennant is referring to Lincolnshire.]

A century later, the English Dialect Dictionary lists a number of
meanings, starting with this one and moving on to tough, inferior
meat or carrion; bad or unwholesome food; worthless items; inferior
or spurious things; an animal that is coarse or mongrel bred; and
"a term of opprobrium applied to persons", typically an old woman.

It was widely used in Lincolnshire, Yorkshire and other counties,
but nobody seems to have the slightest idea where it comes from. In
his Slang Dictionary in 1864, John Camden Hotten notes a suggestion
from a correspondent at Trinity College, Dublin, that the word was
a corruption of the Greek "kakos mageiros", a bad cook, a learned
slang term once known in university circles. Nobody now believes
this, but there's nothing to put in its place.

It's still around in Lincolnshire and also in Nottinghamshire, the
Birmingham area and the Black Country (where in 2003 it was said to
mean a gossipy old woman). I've also found references in Australian
English.

    Although she was poor, my mother wouldn't buy the
    cheap meat she called "cag mag".
    [Birmingham Evening Mail, 7 Dec. 2002.]

    The late Sir Nicholas Fairbairn escaped rebuke, but
    not disdain, by describing women MPs as "mostly hideous -
    they have no fragrance and I dislike women who deny their
    femininity. They are just cagmags, scrub heaps, old
    tattles".
    [BBC News, 8 Dec. 2005.]

We left home in the midst of the UK MPs' expenses scandal. It has
led some commentators to suggest adopting US-style primaries to
involve voters in selecting candidates. So we were charmed to read
in our tour manager's briefing notes that she could provide "plugs
that will convert your electoral equipment to the US system." We
plan to take one home.

Paul Fletcher queried the headline over a story on the BBC Web site
on 27 May: "Firefighters warn over crew cuts." Is the hairstyle
really a matter of concern?

The Microsoft site has an article about new features in the next
version of its operating system, Windows 7. Mark Sinden, who read
the same text on another site, learned that two new functions focus
on "aggregating data from desperate locations".

Pat Walton read about a child prodigy in an article dated 21 May on
the Web site of STV, Scottish Television: "Julian, 39, was adopted
by step-father David aged three, who taught him how to play the
saxophone to the standard which won him a standing ovation at his
audition for the talent show".

A recent notice in The Adirondack Pennysaver, a small free weekly
newspaper based in Plattsburgh, NY, advertised for "Someone to cut
trees for Senior Citizen. Must be reasonable, tall but not big
around." Paul Brady wonders how many rational and well-proportioned
woodsmen responded to the query.

This e-magazine is also available as an RSS feed, which you can
read at http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on e-magazine mailings are always welcome. They should
  Submissions will not usually be acknowledged.
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should
  be addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  me asking for simple subscription changes you can do yourself.

The World Wide Words e-magazine and Web site are free, but if you

World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2009. All rights
reserved. The Words Web site is at http://www.worldwidewords.org .
You may reproduce brief extracts from this e-magazine in mailing
lists, newsletters or newsgroups online, provided that you include
the copyright notice given above. Reproduction of substantial parts
of items in printed publications or Web sites needs permission from
the editor beforehand (wordseditor at worldwidewords.org).