World Wide Words -- 13 Jun 09

Thu Jun 11 04:27:08 UTC 2009

WORLD WIDE WORDS           ISSUE 643          Saturday 13 June 2009
Sent each Saturday to at least 50,000 subscribers by e-mail and RSS
http://www.worldwidewords.org       US advisory editor: Julane Marx

      A formatted version of this e-magazine is available
      online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/pnvz.htm

  To leave the list or change your subscribed email address,
     see Section A below or go to http://wwwords.org?SUBS.

     This e-magazine is best viewed in a fixed-pitch font.

HOLIDAYS  I'm still away. By all means send your questions and Sic!
items as well as commenting on the items in this issue, but don't
expect to get an answer until the end of next week at the earliest.

2. Weird Words: Apozem  /'ap at zIm/
A founding principle of old-time doctoring was never to call a
thing by an ordinary name when a highfalutin one would impress the
patients more. This satire on such medical obfuscations appeared
some 250 years ago and is worth quoting at length for the variety
of obscure terms trotted out by a quack apothecary:

    Upon a more particular inquiry about the symptoms, he
    was told that the blood was seemingly viscous, and salt
    upon the tongue; the urine remarkably acrosaline; and the
    faeces atrabilious and foetid. When the doctor said he
    would engage to find the same phenomena in every healthy
    man of the three kingdoms, the apothecary added, that the
    patient was manifestly comatous, and moreover afflicted
    with griping pains and borborygmata. "A f--t for your
    borborygmata," cried the physician; "what has been done?"
    To this question, he replied, that venesection had been
    three times performed; that a vesicatory had been applied
    inter scapulas; that the patient had taken occasionally
    of a cathartic apozem, and between whiles, alexipharmic
    boluses and neutral draughts.
    [The Life and Adventures of Sir Launcelot Greaves, by
    Tobias Smollett, 1762. "Atrabilious" - affected by black
    bile, melancholy; "comatous" - comatose; "borborygmata" -
    rumblings in the guts; "venesection" - opening or cutting
    a vein, phlebotomy; "vesicatory" - an irritating ointment
    or plaster designed to raise blisters on the skin; "inter
    scapulas" - between the shoulder blades; "alexipharmic" -
    a substance intended to ward off poisons. I am puzzled by
    the missing letters in the imprecation "f--t".]

Any ordinary person would describe an apozem as an infusion, or
perhaps a decoction. It comes via French from the late Latin
"apozema", which in turn derives from Greek words meaning to boil
off completely. The term is obsolete.

4. Q and A: Bald-faced, boldfaced or barefaced?
Q. A friend of mine recently posed the question as to whether the
proper form was "bald-faced lie" or "boldfaced lie". Naturally, I
thought of looking to your site for the answer, but having found
none, I figure it's the perfect opportunity to ask. Which is the
proper phrase? [Michael Benson]

A. This one confuses people a lot. To increase your own confusion,
the original is actually neither of the two versions you quote, but
is instead "barefaced lie". The first example I've come across is
this:

    How dare you try to falsify my person? You are
    discovered in a barefaced lie, and now want to bully it
    out.
    [Life; or, The adventures of William Ramble Esq., by
    John Trusler, 1793.]

This is still the usual form in Britain and to a lesser extent in
Canada. In the latter part of the nineteenth century, Americans
started to use "bald-faced lie" instead, which has become the most
common form in today's US newspapers. An early example:

    No one of ordinary intelligence is, of course,
    expected to believe the statement, and every one who is
    capable of putting it into readable English knows it to
    be a bald-faced lie.
    [The Newark Daily Advocate (Ohio), 12 Jul. 1883.]

Both forms are based on colloquial uses from the seventeenth century.
Someone bare-faced originally had the face uncovered, and hence was
figuratively acting in an unconcealed or open way (Shakespeare is the
first known user of both literal and figurative senses). From the
latter part of the seventeenth century onwards, it took on a sense of
something or someone who was audacious, shameless or impudent, so that
a barefaced lie was one in which the speaker made no attempt to
disguise it as truth.

An animal that is bald-faced has a white face or a white mark on the
head. (Today "bald" refers to someone or something that lacks hair,
but that's a medieval extension on the basis that a bald pate looks
whitish.) Examples of the white sense include "bald coot" (from the
white flash on the forehead of this water bird, a phrase which was
changed by a bit of folk etymology into the slang insult "bald as a
coot", totally bald); "bald-faced stag" (one likewise with a white
flash on the head), "bald eagle" (which has a white head), and "bald-
faced cattle" (Herefords, which have white faces). A "bald mountain"
has a summit that's either bare or covered in snow. In mid-nineteenth-
century America a "bald-faced shirt" was a dress shirt with a starched
white front. It seems that "bald-faced" was common enough in the US
compared with "barefaced" that it modified the expression.

The third version is your "boldfaced lie". A story one sometimes hears
in support of it falls firmly into the area of folk etymology - that
it comes from a lie knowingly told in print because it was printed for
emphasis in bold type. But "bold-faced" goes back to Shakespeare in
the sense of a shameless or impudent appearance, so it's reasonable
that a boldfaced lie is one told with a shamelessly bold face. It's
sometimes regarded as an error, though it's actually to be found
almost as early as "barefaced lie":

    The sneer, the sarcasm, the one-sided statement, the
    perplexing reference, the qualified concession, the bold-
    faced lie, - all these we could well illustrate by
    samples of the current crop.
    [Eclectic Review, Sept. 1832.]

Having gone around the houses, detailed the history of the three forms
and delved into every aspect of the story, perhaps I ought to think of
actually answering your question. But I don't need to, since good
advice has already been given:

    When we call a lie baldfaced or boldfaced ... either
    one is just fine, though baldfaced is a bit more common.
    But we could save ourselves trouble by following the rest
    of the Anglophone world, which avoids the issue simply by
    using barefaced for most kinds of openly shocking
    behavior.
    [Jan Freeman, writing in the Boston Globe in June
    2002.]

This e-magazine is also available as an RSS feed, which you can
read at http://www.worldwidewords.org/rss/newsletter.xml .

* Comments on e-magazine mailings are always welcome. They should
  Submissions will not usually be acknowledged.
* Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should
  be addressed to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org (please don't
  me asking for simple subscription changes you can do yourself.

The World Wide Words e-magazine and Web site are free, but if you

World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2009. All rights
reserved. The Words Web site is at http://www.worldwidewords.org .
You may reproduce brief extracts from this e-magazine in mailing
lists, newsletters or newsgroups online, provided that you include
the copyright notice given above. Reproduction of substantial parts
of items in printed publications or Web sites needs permission from
the editor beforehand (wordseditor at worldwidewords.org).