World Wide Words -- 10 Mar 12

Fri Mar 9 16:10:59 UTC 2012

WORLD WIDE WORDS           ISSUE 777          Saturday 10 March 2012
      A formatted version of this e-magazine is available
      online at http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/kreh.htm

Feedback, Notes and Comments
NEW FORMAT  Your comments were overwhelmingly positive. So I shall
continue sending both formats each week. It's particularly good to
learn that older subscribers report that the formatted version is
easier to read and that it works well on smartphones and tablets.

Many readers noted exclamation marks in the middle of a couple of
words. These weren't typing errors but were inserted by e-mail
software because some paragraphs were too long. I've changed the
coding method to prevent this happening again.

Some readers complained that lines were too long in some readers or
that the fonts were too small. Lines can usually be shortened by
reducing the width of the viewing window - the text will reformat to
fit it. Font sizes can often be changed through a local setting.
However, I've amended the code to set a maximum length for lines and
also changed the font specification slightly. In response to other
requests, I've added links to key pages on the website, including
the online version of each issue.

ERRORS  Apart from the intrusive exclamation marks, subscribers also
noted that I'd referred to the forward of a book when of course I
meant its foreword and that I'd misspelled Sebastian Junger's name
in one place. The phrase "when it's at home", in the question about
"perfect storm", lost its apostrophe in one appearance (more about
the expression below). Apologies.

Weird Words: Froward
It's not a mistake for "forward", though a typing error in an e-mail
brought it to mind.

The first part of this archaic word could at one time stand alone.
"Fro" is based on Old Norse "frá", from which we also get "from". We
now know it only in "to and fro", which is a scaled-down form of the
Middle English "come toward and go froward".

"Froward" means leading away. Old English also had "fromward" in the
same sense, though they later diverged. "Fromward" retained its
literal sense of direction - until it died out in the eighteenth
century - whilst "froward" moved to the metaphorical.

By the fourteenth century, "froward" was attached in particular to a
person who figuratively moved away from others by doing the opposite
of what was asked of them or what other people thought reasonable. A
froward person was hard to deal with - obstinate, peevish, perverse
or childish. Indeed, a difficult child was often said to be froward:

    Human Life is, at the greatest and the best, but like a
    froward Child, that must be play'd with and humour'd a
    little to keep it quiet till it falls asleep.
    [An Essay on Poetry by Sir William Temple, 1690.]

That sense remained until "froward" slipped out of daily use in the
latter part of the nineteenth century. If you read it today in a
newspaper it's either in a quotation from an old work or - to return
to my starting point - a misprint for "forward".

Wordface
STARSTRUCK  An informal astronomical term swam into my ken the other
day: MILKOMEDA. The experts who know our galactic neighbourhood are
predicting that shortly - in about five billion years, give or take
the odd billion - the Andromeda Galaxy may collide with our own, the
Milky Way. After some churning and stirring, the two may coalesce
into a new single galaxy, which has been named Milkomeda. Though we
need not lose any sleep about its coming, it's good to know that we
already have a name for it.

WALKING WOUNDED  Following my piece two weeks ago on "somniloquent"
several readers asked about the Latin verb "ambulare", to walk. John
Sieger put it this way: "I would be curious to know when 'ambulare'
acquired wheels to become 'ambulance'." It's an odd story. The
original was the late-eighteenth-century French "hôpital ambulant",
literally "walking hospital", a horse-drawn vehicle that we would
now call a mobile field hospital, taken to a battle to give rapid
help to the wounded. This gave rise to "chariot d'ambulance" and
"voiture d'ambulance" and at the end of the nineteenth century to
the French "ambulance" in its modern sense of a civil emergency
vehicle. The English word, initially meaning a vehicle with which to
transport wounded away from the battlefield, was borrowed from
"voiture d'ambulance" by the British army fighting alongside the
French in the Crimean War.

AT HOME?  In last week's issue, Thomas O'Dwyer wrote in his query
about "perfect storm", "What, I thought idly, is a perfect storm
when it's at home". Lots of readers were clearly unfamiliar with
this colloquial phrasing. It expresses surprise, incomprehension or
scorn on encountering a reference to an unfamiliar person or thing:
"Who's he when he's at home?"; "What on earth is an Immigration
Appeals Tribunal when it's at home?"; "What are banister finials
when they're at home?". As so often with such formulations, the
origin is lost in history, but it's been in use in Britain for 150
years. The earliest on record is in St Patrick's Eve, by Charles
Lever, published in 1845: "'And who is Mr. Lucas when he's at home?'
said Owen, half-sneeringly."

IN HOT WATER  Perhaps, being officially retired, I'm now out of the
loop, workplace-wise, but I was surprised when a catalogue of office
supplies that I was glancing through offered me "hot and cold water
coolers". The models listed do indeed dispense hot water as well as
cold. Though the English language is flexible, using "water cooler"
to mean "water heater" bends it so far it might snap.

Q and A: Etiquette
Q. I have noticed that the word for a label in several languages
(French, Dutch, German and Spanish at least) is "etiquette", or a
variant of it. How did we come to have such different meanings, and
what do these other languages use when they want to talk about the
prescribed way of behaving? [Sarah Ingram]

A. Both senses have the same source, as does "etiquette" in English.
Something similar happened in English, too, though in a disguised
way.

The extension of sense first happened in French. It derives from the
ancient French "estiquette" that meant to press, pierce, insert or
attach and which may be linked to the Latin "stilus", a stylus. It
meant a post stuck in the ground that served some purpose or other
not fully understood in games, perhaps as a goal. Because the posts
often had a sign attached to them, it extended its sense to a label,
in a later usage one in a lawyer's book bag or valise that detailed
the papers relating to a trial, including a list of witnesses. This
moved further over time to refer to any sort of ticket, such as a
price tag, which is one of its meanings in modern French.

At the beginning of the sixteenth century the word was used in the
court of Philippe the Good, the Duke of Bourgogne, for the schedule
of the Duke and his court. By the end of the century, it had come to
mean the court ceremonial, particularly at Versailles, and hence a
code of polite behaviour in formal situations.

Because French was for so long the formal language of courts and
diplomacy throughout Europe, "etiquette" in this sense spread into
other languages. Confusingly, several of them adopted the label
sense as well, though the two may be spelled slightly differently.

Like other languages, English borrowed "etiquette" in the behaviour
sense in the eighteenth century. But two centuries earlier we had
acquired a word close in sense to "label" by dropping the initial
"es" from "estiquette" to make "ticket".

Sic!
Pete Jones was watching the snooker on Sky Sports recently when a
commentator said: "If he can stay ahead, he's going to win".

Several cases of unfortunate headline constructions appeared this
week. "Woman hit by triathlon cyclist in coma" was seen by Rosemary
Zammarelli on the Fox Sports site on 6 March. MSN News had the sad
news, found by Michael Daily, that "Toddler found after twister dies
in hospital". On 7 March the Washington Times site had the headline
"Dead inmate killed up to 20"; thanks go to Norman Cooper for the
zombie alert.

Sharyn Turney sent a report from Yahoo News Australia: "Nearly 3500
have been evacuated in NSW as a Sydney dam overflew." The Canberra
Times wrote in similar mode two days earlier: "Floods have overflown
other Canberra dams during construction with no ill effect."

you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, http://wwwords.org?SUBS. This e-
magazine is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org?RSSFD) and
Twitter (http://wwwords.org?TWTTR). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org?BKISS.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on e-magazine mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to wordseditor at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often prevent me from doing
so. Items for the Sic! section should go to sic at worldwidewords.org.
Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be
sent to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this e-magazine and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org?SPPRT .

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2012. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this e-magazine in whole or part
in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists provided that you
include the copyright notice above and give the website address.
Reproduction of substantial parts of items in printed publications
or built websites requires permission from the editor beforehand.