World Wide Words -- 10 Nov 12

Fri Nov 9 17:34:55 UTC 2012

WORLD WIDE WORDS         ISSUE 809         Saturday 10 November 2012
       This mailing also contains an HTML-formatted version.
          A formatted version is also available online at
             http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/tgxc.htm

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments.
2. Weird Words: Mulct.
3. Miscellany.
4. Q and A: Eggy.
5. Sic!
6. Useful information.

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments
MRS  John Dylan asked when "mistress" became a term for the female
half of a long-lasting extra-marital relationship. It's on record
from 1601, though it's probably older. Incidentally, "miss", the
conventional term for an unmarried woman, began life at about the
same time as the shortened form of "mistress" in the kept-woman
sense but by the middle 1600s was already being used as we do now
for any unmarried woman. And at about the same time "Ms" was very
occasionally used as an abbreviation for "mistress", in all its
meanings, though its application as a neutral alternative to Mrs or
Miss is a modern US introduction. Though popularised during the
1960s, it is on record as having been suggested by a correspondent
to the Springfield Sunday Republican of Massachusetts in November
1901.

"Mistress has been used as a form of address in relatively recent
times," commented Gill Dunn. "In the late 1950s, my stepmother, as
the wife of the headmaster of a village school in Northumberland,
was addressed as Mistress Wood." George Chamier concurs: "'Mistress'
as a term of address to a married or mature woman was still used
until very recently in the Scottish Highlands - and may still be by
the elderly. I recall a railway official at Inverness station (I
suspect he was a Gaelic speaker which may account for the usage)
addressing my wife as such in the 1970s.". "In 1954, as a young
teenager living in Exeter (UK)," wrote Roger Clark, "I took part in
a school exchange with a French boy who stayed with us for three
weeks. When he came downstairs the first morning he greeted my
mother with 'Good morning, Mistress!' I never did discover where he
learned this but I suspect he had a rather old-fashioned teacher."

2. Weird Words: Mulct  /mVlKt/
I've been spending too much time in the garden: my mind keeps trying
to insist this word is said as "mulch". No, the "c" is hard, like
the effect on the person being mulcted.

It derives from classical Latin, in which "multa" or "mulcta" meant
a fine or penalty. The "c" was probably introduced as the result of
confusion with the verb "mulcare", to handle roughly or damage, an
unsurprising association of ideas. But many centuries passed before
the change became general. Both Anglo-Norman and Middle French had
"multer", to pay a fine. It came into in English in the fifteenth
century as "mult" and it was a century before the "c" became wedged
permanently into place. (The same thing happened in French, in which
"mulcter" evolved from "multer" at about the same time, though the
verb has disappeared from the modern language.)

"Mulct" remains in English, though in its original sense it is now
restricted to the world of lawyers and judges. Elsewhere, it has
shifted to refer to the illegal extraction of money through fraud or
extortion. Since it appears in phrases such as "mulcting the poor
taxpayer", we may assume people subject to some legally sanctioned
mulct came to regard it as excessive to the point of extortion.

    The [energy supply] industry is quick to pass on price
    increases, and damnably slow to give customers the benefit
    of today's tumbling costs. It is no good urging these
    hardfaced profiteers. The only thing they understand is
    the brute force they use to mulct their customers.
    [Daily Mirror, 12 Dec. 2008.]

3. Miscellany
NEVERMORE?  "Never event" is well known in the medical profession
but new to me. It's a mistake in surgery that, by definition, ought
never to happen. A recent report records the UK's National Health
Service as having had 326 never events during 2011, including 161 in
which a foreign object was left in the body after an operation and
70 in which patients had surgery on the wrong part of the body. We
may take some small comfort from learning that 326 is a minuscule
number compared with the 4.2 million operations carried out each
year in England alone.

FIFTY SHADES OF SWANS?  We learned of figurative black swans as a
result of Nassim Taleb's book of that title in 2008, a term that he
coined for an event which is both unpredicted and unpredictable.
(The analogy was with the finding of black swans in Australia by the
seventeenth-century Dutch explorer Willem de Vlamingh, at a time
when all swans were thought to be white.) Last week, Sir Martin
Sorrell, the chief executive officer of the WPP advertising agency,
invented similarly figurative grey swans. These are events we do
know about but whose outcomes are equally unpredictable. He cited
four: the crisis in the Eurozone, the turmoil in the Middle East,
the slowdown in the fast-growing economies of China, Brazil and
India, and the consequences of the US presidential election. As to
the last of these, it's too early to tell, though the swan in this
case may be said to have turned blue.

POTS AND KETTLES  A word turned up in my newspaper that I thought
had outlived its fashionableness, even its utility: "whataboutery",
but it turns out to have significant currency still. It's associated
particularly with the Troubles in Northern Ireland. Bitter arguments
by one side about terrorism were often countered, not by reasoned
argument, but by accusations of similar atrocities by the other. In
2000, The Scotsman attributed the coinage to the former West Belfast
MP Gerry Fitt, and gave this example: "Aye, the IRA might be bad,
but what about ...". That makes clear it's "what about" turned into
a noun. The Belfast Telegraph used it on 29 September: "Both sides
are steeped in historical 'whataboutery' and they cannot see the
historical woods for the modern trees." A less contentious form was
known in the nineteenth century: "whatabouts", which was a pun on
"whereabouts". One's whatabouts were one's activities, doings or
occupations, in British English what one was about.

UNMATCHABLE RHYMES  Todd Sidwell asked me a question that has given
poets much grief: "Is there an English word that rhymes with month?"
It is usually considered to be almost as difficult to match as those
notorious rhyme-breaking hues orange, purple and silver. Some poets
have argued that number words such as "millionth", "seventh" or
"dozenth" can work. A jokester has created "dunth", defined as "a
word that rhymes with month", presumably without knowing that Dunth
is a real, though unusual, family name. By coincidence, a letter to
The Observer newspaper two Sundays ago from Liz Ratcliffe quoted a
brief snatch of doggerel that Robert Browning wrote when presented
with the same challenge:

    From the Ganges to the Blorenge
    Comes the Rajah once a month.
    Sometimes chewing on an orange.
    Sometimes reading from his Grunth.

Browning wasn't cheating by inventing words: "Blorenge" is a small
mountain in Wales, while "Grunth" is a Sikh holy book. This exotic
solution may merely illustrate the truth of the generality.

4. Q and A: Eggy
Q. I'd be interested to learn more about the history of the British
slang "eggy", meaning slightly annoyed. A couple of Idahoan friends
have taken to using it (I'd lay money that P G Wodehouse is behind
the conspiracy), and my curiosity has risen like a well-executed
soufflé. Thank you! [Valerie B]

A. I'm not so sure that Wodehouse could be an influence. The only
example of the word I can find in his books is a character called
Eggy, who appeared in Laughing Gas in 1936. Another character said
of him, "I can't imagine anybody more capable of worrying a family
than Eggy", but that's because he was idle, dissolute and a
drunkard. He was annoying, but not himself annoyed.

The Oxford English Dictionary records "eggy" from the year before
Laughing Gas was published, in Judgment Day, the last of the Studs
Lonigan trilogy by the American author James T Farrell, set in
Chicago. So there's a good argument for saying that "eggy" isn't
originally British at all. Your Idahoan friends might have taken it
from the books or - if they have long memories - from the 1960 film
or the 1979 miniseries made from the trilogy. However, you're right
to say that it's known to some extent in the UK - I've come across
it as school playground slang from the 1990s.

If one has figurative egg on one's face, appearing ridiculous or
foolish, the result may well be annoyance, but linguistically the
two seem unconnected. It has been suggested "eggy" is a modified
version of "aggravated", but that's too much of a modification to be
easily accepted as the source. Others argue that it's from "edgy",
nervous, tense or irritable, which may have been an influence.
"Edgy" comes from, or is associated with, being "on edge", though it
has a more recent sense of being unconventional - on the cutting
edge of style, so to speak. Though the OED does suggest a link
between "eggy" and "edgy", it's through another sense of the verb
"to egg", one that has nothing to do with soufflés or hens, but is
associated with the idiom "to egg someone on", to incite, provoke or
encourage.

The egg in this phrase is from Old Norse "eggja", to incite, which
has the same source as the verb "to edge", to sharpen a weapon. (In
1603 the Bishop of Lincoln, William Barlow, wrote in his Answer to a
Catholic Englishman, "Not blunting the sword of Justice, but rather
edging it.") For centuries, down to the late 1800s, "egg on" also
appeared as "edge on". I guess that the idea behind "egging on" is
that a person is being encouraged to take action by figuratively
suggesting he sharpen his sword.

We've lost "to edge on" and this has made a puzzling idiom more so.
The unknown person who derived "eggy" from its "egg on" version to
suggest somebody who had been egged on or provoked to the extent of
becoming annoyed almost certainly wasn't thinking of blades.

Paddy Crean was attending the Wexford Opera Festival in Ireland and
found this entry on a handwritten menu at the Talbot Hotel: "Locally
caught chunks of fresh fish."

"I came across an unfortunate use of words on the bottom of a new
kitchen appliance," wrote Frances Cave: "This kettle is made from
completely tasteless materials". Peter G Millington-Wallace noted a
label on his purchase, a pack of replacement toothbrush heads, which
claimed, "Effectively remove plague".

Grant Agnew e-mailed: "On 1 November, Australia's SBS-TV World News
had an item about our latest Victoria Cross winner. The reporter
told us that he is the 96th 'since the Boer War at the turn of the
century'. I hope this doesn't mean that the twentieth century is
going to be repeated."

An article in The Australian on 7 November commented, "The risk of
having a heart attack and developing heart disease increased with
each additional sign of aging among both men and women, who made up
45 percent of survey participants." Thanks to Christine Robey for
that.

Still in Australia, Chris Gray noted that the Business Spectator
wrote on 1 November: "Filippo and Maria had emigrated to Australia
from Sicily in 1950s and settled in Griffiths, NSW, where they
eventually bought 50 acres and planted grapes, peaches and prunes as
well as four children."

6. Useful information
you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, go to http://wwwords.org?SUBS. This
e-magazine is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org?RSSFD) and
Twitter (http://wwwords.org?TWTTR). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org?BKISS.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on e-magazine mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to wordseditor at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often prevent me from doing
so. Items for the Sic! section should go to sic at worldwidewords.org.
Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be
sent to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this e-magazine and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org?SPPRT .

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2012. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this e-magazine in whole or part
in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as educational
resources provided that you include the copyright notice above and
give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org. Reproduction
of items in printed publications or commercial websites requires
permission from the author beforehand.