World Wide Words -- 17 Nov 12

Fri Nov 16 18:44:41 UTC 2012

WORLD WIDE WORDS         ISSUE 810         Saturday 17 November 2012
       This mailing also contains an HTML-formatted version.
          A formatted version is also available online at
             http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/nuvp.htm

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments.
2. Weird Words: Understrapper.
3. Miscellany.
4. Q and A: Gigantic.
5. Sic!
6. Useful information.

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments
RUTHLESS RHYMES  Many readers responded to my comments in the last
issue about the difficulties poets have with rhyming words such as
"orange" and "month". George Steinberg commented, "Don't forget
songwriter Stephen Sondheim's advice: 'To rhyme a word like silver,
/ or any "rhymeless" rhyme, / requires only will, ver- / bosity and
time.'" Other readers, including William Logan, pointed to this:

    As long as he can grind em out, a dozen-or-so a month,
    We'll praise him to the nth degree, and to the n-plus-1th.
    [On Reading John Hollander's Poem "Breadth. Circle.
    Desert. Monarch. Month. Wisdom. (for which there are no
    rhymes)", by George Starbuck, 2003.]

MULCT  Pat Jakobi was among several readers who suggested another
source: "My grandfather (born 1878 in Wisconsin) always complained
about his boss milking the staff by working them hard and paying
them little. The idea of someone taking fluids from a cow without
permission and potentially with force certainly fits." It does, but
the Oxford English Dictionary's recently revised entry for "milk"
says otherwise, recording examples in the senses of deprive, defraud
or exploit from the sixteenth century, three centuries before these
senses were attached to "mulct". The obvious connections with
extracting milk from a cow, which has also led to phrases such as
"cash cow", were enough to suggest the idea in people's minds.

Jonathan McColl e-mailed from Dingwall in Rossshire: "The Dingwall
Burgh Council meeting minutes from 1708 record a landowner beating
up the 'multurer' at the main mill. I feel he was probably incensed
at the fellow taking more than the normal bit off the top of any
grain he was grinding in his mill, his 'multure'. I assume this
comes from the same root, and might dare say that's one reason 'to
mulct' has rather a pejorative feel nowadays." Yes, I'm sure the
taking of excessive tolls or fees is part of the cause of the shift
of "mulct" to its modern meaning of extortion. ("Multure" is a Scots
word, based on the older spelling of "mulct", which can be traced
back to the early thirteenth century for a charge or toll made by a
miller for grinding corn.)

2. Weird Words: Understrapper
The British author and newspaper columnist Simon Hoggart is fond of
this word, applying it particularly to a governmental minion sent to
make a statement before the House of Commons, thereby taking abuse
that should have been directed at his boss. Few people now would
grasp the full import of the word, though its first element gives
enough of a clue that it's an alternative to underling.

It was a popular term of the eighteenth century, its first user on
record being Thomas Brown, a satirist now only remembered, if at
all, for a verse translation of a Latin epigram he composed when
under threat of being sent down by his Oxford tutor, Dr John Fell:
"I do not love thee, Dr Fell, / The reason why I cannot tell; / But
this I know, and know full well, / I do not love thee, Dr Fell." In
1702, he wrote a book of mock letters from the recently deceased,
including three supposedly from the late comic actor and satirical
writer Joseph Haines to his friends at Will's Coffee House:

    I intend to build me a Stage in one of the largest
    Piazza's of this city, take me a fine House, and set up my
    old Trade of Fortune-telling; and as I shall have upon
    occasion now and then for some Understrapper to draw teeth
    for me, or to be my Toad-eater upon the stage, if you will
    accept of so mean an Employment, beside my old Cloaths,
    which will be something, Ill give you Meat, Drink,
    Washing, and Lodging, and Four Marks per annum.
    [Letters from the Dead to the Living, by Thomas Brown,
    1702. The wayward apostrophes are as printed.]

It was still common during the nineteenth century:

    "Dear me - very awkward!" said Stephen, rather en
    l'air, and confused with the kind of confusion that
    assails an understrapper when he has been enlarged by
    accident to the dimensions of a superior, and is somewhat
    rudely pared down to his original size.
    [A Pair of Blue Eyes, by Thomas Hardy, 1873.]

My Collins Dictionary explains the second part as being from one
sense of the verb "strap", to work hard, which is also the source of
the adjective "strapping" for someone big and strong (originally
applied only to young women, by the way). A strapper could be a
labourer or a man who groomed horses, hence a menial employee. His
subordinate would be the ultimate underling.

If you would like an archaic alternative, try "under-spur-leather",
which is from the same area of life. A spur-leather was the strap
that secured a spur to the rider's foot, so somebody under the spur
leather is figuratively beneath the heel of the rider.

    There is a notorious Idiot, one hight Whachum, who from
    an under-spur-leather to the Law, is become an
    understrapper to the Play house, who has lately burlesqu'd
    the Metamorphoses of Ovid by a vile translation.
    [Remarks upon Mr Pope's Translation of Homer, by John
    Dennis, 1717. "Hight": named.]

I offer it to Mr Hoggart for his consideration.

3. Miscellany
THERE'S MONEY IN THEM THERE WOODS  A buzzword of conservationists
suddenly appeared in British newspapers this month: "treeconomics".
It's a blend of "tree" and "economics" and refers to the growing
practice of establishing a monetary value for natural resources. The
immediate reason for the word's appearance was a report that the
Torbay district council in Devon employed a software application to
value its 818,000 trees, based on variables such as carbon lockdown,
energy conservation, storm-water control, air-quality improvement
and increase in property values. The figure it came up with was £360
(US$570) a tree. I got the wrong end of the stick when I first saw
the word, reading it as "treaconomics", but then realised, silly me,
that there are no treacle mines in Torbay. (If baffled, please see
http://wwwords.org?TRMN.)

END OF THE YEAR SHOW  No sooner had the smoke and din of Guy Fawkes
Day subsided than Oxford Dictionaries announced its Word of the Year
2012. I swear such annual publicity exercises are, like Christmas
advertising, shifting earlier in the calendar. Oxford's choice is
"omnishambles" (a word previously featured here; if you missed it,
get the details via http://wwwords.org?OMNSM). It is defined as "a
situation that has been comprehensively mismanaged, characterized by
a string of blunders and miscalculations". One reason for the choice
is its linguistic productivity: not only have we had the adjective
"omnishambolic" but also derived forms, including "Romneyshambles"
for the tactless comments on London's ability to host a successful
Olympic Games by the US presidential candidate Mitt Romney. Another
is "Scomnishambles", a Scottish omnishambles, coined in October when
the Scottish government had to admit it hadn't sought legal advice
on whether an independent Scotland could join the European Union. As
Oxford Dictionaries points out, the word may prove to be temporary
and never join other coinages in dictionaries.

4. Q and A: Gigantic
Q. Is there any connection between the two adjectives, "giant" and
"gigantic"? It seems to me there must be, and if so, where did the
extra "g" in the latter come from? [Jim True]

A. A connection does exist: they both derive from the same word of
the classical Greek period. The difference in spelling came about
because their journeys into English took separate paths.

The Greek word was "gigas", in compounds as "gigant-". (The modern
number prefix "giga-" for a thousand million was based on the Greek
root.) The Romans borrowed both to make the Latin noun "gigas" and
its adjective "gigantem". Old English took its word for giant from
the Latin adjective, making "gigant". This survived in the language
for several centuries, though it is long since defunct.

That's because of the Norman Conquest, following which English was
influenced heavily by Norman French. By the 1290s, English people
had taken over the Old French word for a giant. This did similarly
derive from Latin, but had been greatly modified along the way and
was said and spelled differently, as "géant", "jéant" or "gaiant".
English adopted the "geant" version.

Around 1600, writers created two new adjectives, "gigantean" and
"gigantic". The source is uncertain (Robert Barnhart commented
rather sadly in the "gigantic" entry in his Dictionary of Etymology
that "a long literary history of reference ... makes determination
of the word's immediate source difficult to establish"). It could
have been from the Latin adjective "gigantem", or perhaps from the
Greek "gigant-", or even possibly with a nod to the Old English
"gigant", which was still around, though overshadowed by the "geant"
version.

However it happened, the adjective settled down to be "gigantic". In
turn, its influence shifted "geant" to "giant".

A curious statement was found by Michel Norrish in a brochure from
New Zealand Post which advertised a forthcoming issue of stamps for
the Ross Dependency: "Unless stocks are exhausted earlier, these
stamps will remain on sale until further notice."

Nothing changes. An article in Time magazine dated 9 November about
the causes of the decline of the Mayan civilisation contained this
sentence, sent in by Deane Rothenmaier and Beate Czogalla: "There
was also a lot of warfare in that period, which makes sense for a
culture fighting over swindling resources."

Jeremy Bangs e-mails from Leiden in the Netherlands to tell us that
a local restaurant "offers customers an English-language menu as an
alternative to the ordinary menu in Dutch. Attempting to avoid being
rude through using the word 'breast', the chef allows customers to
order 'roast duck udders'. Kind patrons have refrained from telling
the management that their English sucks."

Another restaurant, the Rubicon in Griffith, Australia, posts menus
for its lunchtime and evening "banquets" on its website. Therese
Osborne spotted that the restaurant insists that "Banquettes must be
pre booked - minimum 8 parsons." And if you bring your own wine, the
restaurant wants "cakeage".

6. Useful information
you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, go to http://wwwords.org?SUBS. This
e-magazine is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org?RSSFD) and
Twitter (http://wwwords.org?TWTTR). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org?BKISS.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on e-magazine mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to wordseditor at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often prevent me from doing
so. Items for the Sic! section should go to sic at worldwidewords.org.
Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be
sent to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this e-magazine and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org?SPPRT .

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2012. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this e-magazine in whole or part
in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as educational
resources provided that you include the copyright notice above and
give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org. Reproduction
of items in printed publications or commercial websites requires
permission from the author beforehand.