World Wide Words -- 13 Jul 13

Thu Jul 11 22:02:00 UTC 2013

WORLD WIDE WORDS           ISSUE 840           Saturday 13 July 2013
       This mailing also contains an HTML-formatted version.
          A formatted version is also available online at
             http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/rzsj.htm

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments
LOOPHOLE  Lots of people asked whether there was a link between the
old Dutch verb I mentioned, "lûpen", to watch or peer, and "loupe",
a small magnifying glass that is typically used by jewellers and
watchmakers. It appears that there isn't. "Loupe" was borrowed into
English from the French word of the same sense about a century ago.
It has been suggested that its source lies in the old German word
"luppe" from the Rhine region, meaning a shapeless mass of material.
In French, it early on meant a mass of pasty iron from the smelter
ready to be hammered. This seems to have been flattish and round and
led to its meaning a kind of sebaceous cyst and a knot or bur on a
tree before it took on its modern sense about 1680. To pre-empt any
query about "cantaloupe", that's named after Cantaluppi near Rome,
where it was first cultivated in Europe after being imported from
Armenia.

DUCT TAPE  I have been roundly told off for implying last week that
gaffer tape and duct tape are related. Wayne Simpson wrote, "They
are definitely not the same thing, as any motion picture lighting
technician (such as me) or grip will tell you. Gaffer's tape (with
or without the apostrophe) is cloth tape, not vinyl; the adhesive is
much more friendly and doesn't leave the disgusting residue that
duct tape does. It's meant to be removed without destroying what it
was attached to (though you shouldn't use it on wallpaper)."

FORNICATION  I got my Latin inflections confused last week, as many
readers told me. I wrongly said that "fornacis" is an adjective, but
it's the genitive of "fornax", a furnace.

NOSOPOETIC  "While 'nosopoetic' may have lost out to 'pathogenic',"
Shayna Kravetz commented, "its half-sibling 'nosocomial' is alive
and kicking. This refers to an illness arising from a stay in
hospital and is sometimes seen as a synonym for 'iatrogenic' (caused
by doctors), although it's not quite the same. With the rise of
various treatment-resistant pathogens, nosocomial infections are a
hot topic in medicine. This word has been earning its money for the
last two decades or so."

"My education as a health economist began in 1972," Peter McMenamin
emailed, "and I soon encountered the concepts of nosocomial
infections and iatrogenic diseases. But the word that fascinated me
was 'pathognomonic'.  A pathognomonic symptom was one whose presence
meant that a particular disease was present beyond any doubt. And
the reason medicine is so complicated is that there are very few
diseases that have pathognomonic symptoms."

Harry Lake wrote, apropos of another word in "noso-": "Some years
ago, doing a translation from Dutch into English, I needed to know
the English for the Dutch 'smetvrees', which means an irrational
fear of dirt or germs but appeared to have no direct equivalent in
English. I looked it up in the Van Dale Dutch-English dictionary,
and there it was: 'hosophobia'. 'Hosophobia'? Never heard of it. It
turned out that the entry should have read 'nosophobia', which is of
quite a different register in addition to meaning something else. (I
have since found 'mysophobia', which is more accurate but very rare,
unlike 'smetvrees', which every Dutch person understands.) Wondering
how this error might have come about, I recalled that someone had
told me that Van Dale worked with handwritten slips, and it occurred
to me that in all likelihood the handwriting of whoever had written
the word 'nosophobia' had had an uncommonly - if only slightly -
long vertical in the 'n'. And nobody had checked the entry ..."

What is most intriguing about Mr Lake's story is that a search of
Google Books finds a number of examples of "hosophobia", most of
which have authors with Dutch-sounding names. Entering "smetvrees"
into Google Translate gets "hosophobia" as its English equivalent.
The error in the Dutch dictionary seems to have had some small
influence on the English language, but no longer, as the entry was
corrected in the 1999 edition.

2. Gist
There are three senses of "gist" in the Oxford English Dictionary.
We're not concerned with the obsolete sense of a right of pasture
for cattle (from Anglo-Norman "agister", to pasture animals) nor the
equally obsolete one of a stopping place or lodging (from old French
"giste", in modern French the more familiar "gîte" for a furnished
holiday home). This one is the essence or substance of a speech or
text.

It evolved out of the legal language in medieval England after the
Norman Conquest at a time when court cases were recorded in French.
There was a fixed phrase, "cest action gist", in which "gist" is
from Latin "jacere", to lie, via Old French "gesir", to lie. Its
literal translation was "this action lies". It didn't mean that the
accusation was untruthful (though we may guess that many of them
must have been), since the original Latin verb could also mean "be
situated". It meant that sufficient grounds existed for continuing
with the action. This sense of "lie" is still known in legal
English.

Early in the eighteenth century "gist" shifted from meaning that an
action was admissible or sustainable to referring to what the action
was actually about. The phrases "the gist of the action" or "the
gist of the indictment" were common:

    Mr Sturgeon, the surgeon, depos'd, That being sent for,
    he came to Mr. Crispe at Coke's about Eleven, found him
    wretchedly cut in seven places ... It will be too tedious
    to describe the other Wounds, only that on the Nose,
    because it was the Gist of the Indictment.
    [The Historical Register, 1722.]

It took another century for this usage to extend beyond the legal
world to mean in everyday language the essence of some speech or
text.

3. Fly in the face of
Q. While recently reading an article on the BBC about one of the
latest pop stars over here in Japan, I came across the phrase "fly
in the face": "Her quirkiness and imperfections fly in the face of
the conventional view of Japanese culture." Being an English teacher
myself, I anticipate my students asking me to explain the phrase and
be asked its origins. It's something I have never thought about and
so I wondered if you could shed some light on the matter. [Jonathan,
in Tokyo]

A. You're in good company, as I suspect few English speakers have
stopped to wonder why we should have this odd expression. I must
confess to never having done so myself.

The idiom usually refers to something that appears to deny the truth
of a statement or belief ("Their actions fly in the face of their
claim that they are looking to avoid civilian casualties"). Rather
less often, it describes a person who defies someone else or shows
disrespect for someone or something ("He is above all a tease. Like
Gore Vidal, he likes to fly in the face of received opinions.")
There's also the much less common and relatively recent derivative
"fly in the teeth of", which is, I think, solely American.

The first version, from the 1550s, was "to fly in a person's face"
and its literal meaning was of a dog that attacked by springing at a
person. Very early on, it acquired the figurative sense of verbally
attacking someone who disagreed with your opinions or your actions,
decidedly getting in their face. This is now rare but not yet
obsolete:

    Don't fly in their face with it. Don't try to browbeat
    them with your point of view.
    [Independent on Sunday, 9 Aug. 1998.]

It's not clear from the record when the impersonal form took over,
but it was at least a century ago.

Richard Kuebbing found that the front page of the Atlanta Journal-
Constitution on 7 July asserted, about the crash in San Francisco of
the Asiana flight 214, "All have been unaccounted for among the 307
passengers and crew, said airport spokesman Doug Yakel."

Liz Moynihan emailed: "Our local newspaper, the SanTan Sun News in
Chandler, AZ, had this headline in the July 6-19 issue: 'Chandler
City Council to address urban chickens'. I have a feeling the sheep
and cows might demand equal time."

On 10 July, the Femail section of the Daily Mail website had this
tagline: "Shorts can be chic: And you don't have to be a twenty-
something to pull them off."

5. Useful information
you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, go to http://wwwords.org?SUBS. This
e-magazine is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org?RSSFD) and
on Twitter (http://wwwords.org?TWTTR). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org?BKISS.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on e-magazine mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to wordseditor at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often prevent me from doing
so. Items for the Sic! section should go to sic at worldwidewords.org.
Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be
sent to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this e-magazine and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org?SPPRT .

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2013. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this e-magazine in whole or part
in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as educational
resources provided that you include the copyright notice above and
give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org. Reproduction
of items in printed publications or commercial websites requires
permission from the author beforehand.