World Wide Words -- 15 Jun 13

Thu Jun 13 22:02:00 UTC 2013

WORLD WIDE WORDS           ISSUE 836           Saturday 15 June 2013
       This mailing also contains an HTML-formatted version.
          A formatted version is also available online at
             http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/aovq.htm

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments
CROSSPATCH  Several readers disagreed with my statement that it was
unnecessary to spend time on the first part of this word and asked
why "cross" should mean ill-tempered. The Oxford English Dictionary
entry suggests that it evolved through terms such as "cross-wind",
one blowing at an angle to the desired course and which impeded
progress. It was attached to ideas or actions that were contrary or
opposed to one's own and to people who opposed or disagreed or were
quarrelsome. The specific sense of bad-tempered came from that.

HANDICAP  Several British readers wondered if there might be a link
with the pub game of spoof, played to decide who buys the next round
of drinks. It's too complicated to explain here, though in essence
it involves guessing the total number of coins held in the hands of
all the participants (if you would like a detailed description, you
will find it here: http://wwwords.org?SPOOF). A connection seems
unlikely, but you never know.

2. Hippodroming
Reader Bill Woodruff serendipitously encountered this curious word.
A dictionary of a century ago defined it like this:

    hippodrome, To conduct races, equestrian, pedestrian,
    or aquatic, or other contests, in which the result is
    prearranged by collusion between the managers and the
    contestants, in order to make gain through betting.
    [The Century Dictionary, Volume 4, 1895.]

To confirm the validity of the dictionary's definition, I offer this
newspaper report in evidence:

    Much interest was manifested in the races on Saturday,
    as it was expected that they would be real genuine
    contests of speed, instead of what they proved, some very
    poor hippodroming. ... The fraud was so palpable and
    barefaced that the only wonder was that the judges didn't
    send them all to the stable, declare the pools off, and
    teach these fellows a lesson that would last them for some
    time.
    [Daily Sentinel (Fort Wayne, Indiana) 18. Sep.
    1878.]

The original hippodromes were chariot-racing circuits of classical
Greece (the term is from "hippos", horse, plus "dromos", a race or
course). The term was imported from France to Britain in the early
nineteenth century for a related spectacle and was later applied in
Britain to a theatre that offered a varied bill. Hippodromes, these
days conventional theatres, survive in some British cities, notably
London, Bristol and Birmingham.

In America travelling entertainments from the middle of the century
often advertised themselves grandly as hippodromes after the French
model. An early example was Franconi's Hippodrome, which ran in New
York for two seasons in 1853 and 1854. Contemporary illustrations
show that this featured indoor chariot races in a circuit similar to
those of ancient Greece. The idea was taken up by travelling shows,
which often advertised themselves as both circuses and hippodromes.
As the original circus was the Roman equivalent of the hippodrome,
that sounds like an etymological tautology, but they were different
entertainments. The circus rings featured the familiar animal acts,
clowns and acrobats and were surrounded by a hippodrome track.

Since the races on these hippodromes were designed as entertainments
rather than serious sporting contests, we may guess that who won and
lost was supervised by the management to maximise the pleasure of
the audience. (British televised wrestling in the 1970s was run on
the same principle.) When serious contests were fixed, it wasn't a
huge jump for people to call the practice "hippodroming".

The first examples date from the 1860s. A direct link with horses
was quickly lost, since early examples refer to boxing, athletics
and other sports. In the twentieth century, car and aeroplane racing
were added. The term was still occasionally to be found as late as
the 1970s.

3. Plasticarian
This word - it means a person who tries to avoid plastics - suddenly
appeared from nowhere last weekend in a British newspaper and has
since been widely picked up by news outlets worldwide:

    When Thomas Smith, a chemistry PhD student from
    Manchester, was given a plastic lid for his takeaway tea
    by the staff at his university café, he had a novel
    comeback. "I can't take that," he said. "I'm a
    plasticarian."
    [Independent on Sunday, 9 Jun. 2013.]

Part of the stimulus for it was a report by the UK's Royal College
of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists the previous week that advised
pregnant women to avoid food in plastic containers where possible.
This was precautionary advice that referred to endocrine disrupters
found in some plastics which can disrupt normal fetal development.
Another reason for wanting to avoid plastics is their adverse effect
on the environment. For this reason, a few people have been trying
to live without them, though it has proved almost impossible because
the stuff is everywhere.

"Plasticarian" is generated from "plastic" by adding the "-arian"
ending that creates adjectives referring to systems of thought or
belief, such as "humanitarian", "libertarian" and "vegetarian",
though it's rare in asserting opposition rather than acceptance.
I've had one sighting of the noun, "plasticarianism".

The earliest example that I know of in this sense is this:

    Becoming a plasticarian will affect my life and my
    diet, but that is the point. I want to see how integrated
    this disposable plastic is in our convenient lives.
    [http://disposableplastic.blogspot.co.uk, 15 Jul.
    2012.]

There are a couple of usages in Google Groups from a decade ago but
the meaning is the inverse - somebody who has an interest in or a
liking for plastics.

4. French fries
Q. A friend of mine recently asked whether "French fries" should be
capitalised. This sparked some debate about the origin of the term.
Is the word "French" an indication of the origin of the dish or is
it a shortening of "frenched", a method of cutting up vegetables
into long thin strips? Or should we just call them chips? [James
Tapper]

A. Never chips please, neither in the US nor the UK. American chips
are what we British call crisps, while our British chips are usually
shorter and more chunky than French fries. The long, thin ones are
commonly called fries almost everywhere. I'll return to "frenched"
later but the convention is to write "French fries" with an initial
capital letter, because it's widely believed that they originated in
France. However, in French-speaking Europe some hold that they were
originally Belgian, while some Americans argue for a strong link
with their own country.

One story is that French fries were first called that by American
soldiers in Belgium and France towards the end of the First World
War, who encountered them as "pommes frites" and converted that into
French fries. This is folk etymology - the term was known earlier.

Another tale connects the dish to an early US president, Thomas
Jefferson. Marshall Fishwick (in his article The Savant as Gourmet
in Modern Culture in 1998) and Charles Ebeling (in an address to the
Chicago Literary Club in 2005) say that the concept was introduced
by him. The latter was told by a guide at Monticello, Jefferson's
home in Virginia, that a recipe of 1802 exists in Jefferson's own
handwriting. A widespread story online asserts that it refers to a
request to his French chef Honoré Julien for "potatoes served in the
French manner" and speculates that Jefferson may have got it from
his period as ambassador to France. Anna Berkes, Research Librarian
at Monticello, tells me that there is a recipe, probably dating from
Jefferson's presidential period, which mentions "pommes de terre
frites, à crû en petites tranches" ("Potatoes, raw, in small slices,
deep-fried"). This is a description in French of fried potatoes but
not obviously a description of potatoes fried in the French manner.
Nobody associated with the Jefferson archives knows of the request.
Like chips or fries the story is best taken with a pinch of salt.

A French manner of serving potatoes was certainly described a little
later, though the early references I can uncover are British, not
American. Mrs Margaret Dods, who ran the Cleikum Inn at Innerleithen
in Scotland, was immortalised in Sir Walter Scott's novel St Ronan's
Well of 1823. In 1828, in The Cook and Housewife's Manual, she noted
that "The French fry sliced potatoes in goose-dripping, which has a
very high relish; but before serving, drain them on a towel before
the fire." A decade later a detailed description appears:

    FRENCH METHOD OF COOKING POTATOES  They divide into the
    thinnest possible slices the potatoe [sic], raw, not
    boiled, and fry it in the finest olive oil or fresh
    butter. It then eats crimp, like the finest biscuit, and
    is taken, like our fried potatoes, with a dish of flesh,
    although also frequently, according to the French fashion,
    it is eaten separately, as a salad.
    [Freeman's Journal (Dublin, Ireland), 1 May 1838. Note
    the old sense of "eat", to have a certain consistency when
    eaten.]

"Crimp" means crisp or brittle. These don't sound like the French
fries we now know - it would seem the French were serving something
nearer the potato crisp. A recipe from Eliza Warren - a British
writer who was a contemporary and rival of the much better known Mrs
Beeton - may be describing the same thing. In her Cookery for Maids
of All Work in 1856, she is the first recorded user of the term by
which the dish would be known for the next half century, "French
fried potatoes". Her recipe says: "French Fried Potatoes. - Cut new
potatoes in thin slices, put them in boiling fat, and a little salt;
fry both sides of a light golden brown colour; drain". Both sides?
That does sound more like a crisp than a French fry. (It may be the
version I've come across in American recipe books under the name
"cottage fries"). However, a very early American recipe in Miss
Parloa's New Cook Book of 1882 under the heading "French fried
potatoes" specifies, "Pare small uncooked potatoes. Divide them in
halves, and each half in three pieces. Put in the frying basket and
cook in boiling fat for ten minutes." I'm told this chunky version
is known in the US as "country fries" or "potato wedges".

When O Henry wrote in 1894, "Our countries are great friends. We
have given you Lafayette and French fried potatoes", he would seem
to have been under a misapprehension. It is clear that the essence
of the French manner to non-native cooks was that the potatoes were
deep-fried, which is after all what "frite" means in French. It
seems that Americans took over the French style of deep-frying
potatoes but initially used it for chunks rather than thin slices
and only later changed the shape to the one we now recognise.

The first American reference I can find to the dish under the name
of "French fried potatoes" is in the Burlington Daily Hawk Eye of
Iowa for 12 December 1880. The name began to be abbreviated to
"French fries" around the beginning of the twentieth century (the
first explicit mention I can find is in a newspaper of 1902).

As to "frenched" (a North American term better known elsewhere as
julienne, which by the way has no connection with Jefferson's chef,
being about three centuries earlier than his time), this certainly
describes vegetables cut into thin strips. But the earliest evidence
for "frenched" is much later than that for "French fried potatoes",
suggesting it was either borrowed from the way that the potatoes
were sliced or was an independent introduction. Either way, it is
usual not to capitalise "frenched".

Roger Clark found this in the Globe and Mail of Toronto on 8 June:
"Dr. Varki had given a lecture on the molecular differences from
chimpanzees that might have made humans unique, when Prof. Brower
pigeonholed him and told him that he was asking the wrong question."

A momentary slip on the CBC news site on 11 June was caught by Nigel
Johnson before it was corrected, "Secret files reveal more Canadians
using offshore tax heavens."

"A colleague of mine," Rupert Snell wrote, "recently published an
article whose highlight for me was this challenging phrase: 'and in
another corner of the public sphere ...'."

My mole at the BBC, Anthony Massey, reports: "On 7th June, the Queen
opened our new headquarters at Broadcasting House. As part of the
usual security precautions, the Metropolitan Police searched the
building in advance of her visit. Two police vans appeared, labelled
rather alarmingly 'Explosive Search Dogs'. We all stood well back
while they did their work!"

Three's a crowd ... Paul Braithwaite found this headline on Yahoo!
Sports on 7 June: "Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy and Adam Scott paired
for first two rounds of U.S. Open."

Department of Inconsiderateness. TVNZ reported on 6 June: "A lot of
people's email addresses had changed, unfortunately some people had
died and not let us know." Thanks to Ruth Reeves for that.

6. Useful information
you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, go to http://wwwords.org?SUBS. This
e-magazine is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org?RSSFD) and
on Twitter (http://wwwords.org?TWTTR). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org?BKISS.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on e-magazine mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to wordseditor at worldwidewords.org. I do
try to respond, but pressures of time often prevent me from doing
so. Items for the Sic! section should go to sic at worldwidewords.org.
Questions intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be
sent to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this e-magazine and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org?SPPRT .

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright (c) Michael Quinion 2013. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this e-magazine in whole or part
in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as educational
resources provided that you include the copyright notice above and
give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org. Reproduction
of items in printed publications or commercial websites requires
permission from the author beforehand.