World Wide Words -- 03 Dec 16

Michael Quinion via WorldWideWords worldwidewords at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Dec 3 09:14:50 UTC 2016

World Wide Words Newsletter 930

World Wide Words

Issue 930: Saturday 3 December 2016

This issue is also available online <http://www.wwwords.org/momn>

Feedback, Notes and Comments

Several medical experts commented that the definitions I quoted from
dictionaries for the word /chalazion/ last time were incorrect. I’ve
modified the piece, which you will find on the website
<http://wwwords.org/chlzn>.

The piece on /Boxing Day/ below is a revision of one I wrote in December
2002.

Because of the Christmas break and other matters I cannot say when the
next issue will appear.

Not my pigeon

Q /From Helen Mosback/: I have just read a serialised version of John
Rowland’s /Calamity in Kent/. It includes this: “In fact, it’s your
pigeon, as they say in the civil service.” I was wondering if you could
shed any light on the expression /it’s your pigeon/? I have to admit to
being quite taken by the Polish expression /not my circus, not my
monkeys/ to indicate that something is not one’s problem, and would be
very happy should I have found an equally enchanting English expression!

A Readers may not be familiar with John Rowland, a little-known and
neglected British detective-story writer who published /Calamity in
Kent/ in 1950. The British Library has republished it this year in its
Crime Classics series.

The date of his book is significant, since at that time the expression
was more familiar to people in the countries of what is now the
Commonwealth than it is now. It had come into the language around the
end of the nineteenth century.

The idiom suggests something is the speaker’s interest, concern, area of
expertise or responsibility. This is a recent British example:

If posh people aren’t your pigeon, the correspondence on display in this
book will be a massive bore and irritation.
/The Times/, 8 Oct. 2016.

It also turns up in the negative in phrases such as “that’s not my
pigeon”, denying involvement or responsibility in some matter.

Despite your analogy with the Polish expression, the pigeon here isn’t
the animal. It’s a variant form of /pidgin/. The name is said to derive
from a Chinese attempt to say the word /business/; the original pidgin,
Pidgin English, was a trade jargon that arose from the seventeenth
century onwards between British and Chinese merchants in ports such as
Canton. The word /pidgin/ is recorded from the 1840s and has become the
usual linguistic term for any simplified contact language that allows
groups that don’t have a language in common to communicate.

This is an early example of /pidgin/ being used in the figurative sense:

We agreed that if anything went wrong with the pony after, it was not to
be my “pidgin.”
/The North-China Herald/ (Shanghai), 1 Aug. 1890.

Most early examples in English writing were spelled that way, though by
the 1920s the /pigeon/ form was being used by people who didn’t make the
connection with the trade language.

Subnivean

Classical scholars will spot the wintry associations of this word; it
derives from Latin /nix/ for snow, which becomes /niv-/ in compounds
such as /nivālis/, snowy or snow-covered. Etymologists point out that
the English /snow/ and the Latin /nix/ both ultimately derive from the
same ancient Indo-European root. But then humans in Europe have long had
plenty of experience of the white stuff.

About four centuries ago, English scholars borrowed /nivālis/ to make
the adjective /nival/ to add to our /snowy/ (though French got there
first, at least a century earlier). We also have the more recent
technical term /nivation/, not — as you might guess — meaning snowfall
but the erosion of ground around and beneath a snow bank that is
seasonally melting.

/Subnivean/ is another member of the group, nearly two centuries old.
This refers to something that happens underneath snow such as the
activities of animals that survive winter beneath it.

Very recently that word has been joined by the linked noun /subnivium/
for the area between soil surface and snowpack. It was coined by a group
led by Jonathan Pauli of the University of Wisconsin-Madison. They wrote
in a paper in /Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment/ in June 2013:
“For many terrestrial organisms in the Northern Hemisphere, winter is a
period of resource scarcity and energy deficits, survivable only because
a seasonal refugium — the ‘subnivium’ — exists beneath the snow.”

Black as Newgate knocker

Q /From Jim Mitchell/: As a child in South London, when I came in from
playing and was a bit grubby my mother would say I looked /as black as
nookers nocker/. My mother was born in 1917. I wonder if she might have
heard this expression from her mother?

A It’s very probable. But not perhaps in that form. Your mother’s
version is a mishearing of a Londoners’ expression that dates back in
written records to 1881: /black as Newgate knocker/. It has also turned
up in the forms /black as Newker’s knocker/, /black as Nook’s knocker/
and /black as Nugent’s knocker/.

Curiously, though it has been in existence for more than a century and
is currently not widely known, in writing it is now more often found
than it has ever been, perhaps because it’s such an evocative item of
historical Cockney slang. These days it almost always has an added
apostrophe-s:

Her eyes really are black as Newgate’s knocker.
/Sunday Times/, 19 Jun. 1994.

Newgate here refers to the notorious prison, originally created in
medieval times in one of the turrets of Newgate, a main entrance through
the walls into the City of London. Down the centuries the prison was
rebuilt five times; it closed in 1902 and was demolished in 1904. The
Central Criminal Court, better known as the Old Bailey, now stands on
the site.

Newgate was a place of fear and loathing to many Londoners, not only
criminals but also debtors, who were imprisoned there until they found a
way to repay what they owed. After 1783, it was also the place where
executions took place, initially on a public platform in front of the
building, later inside. For most of its existence it was a noisome,
dank, dark and unhealthy place to be incarcerated.

It’s not surprising that it should have been commemorated in
expressions. But why not just /black as Newgate/? Why should its door
knocker be selected as the source of the simile?

The phrase /Newgate knocker/ itself is older. It was applied to a
hairstyle fashionable among lower-class male Londoners such as
costermongers. Though it became widely known from the 1840s, I’ve found
a reference to it in the /Kentish Gazette/ in 1781. It referred to a
lock of hair twisted from the temple on each side of the head back
towards the ear in the shape of a figure 6.

In 1851, Henry Mayhew wrote in his /London Labour and the London Poor/
that a lad of about fourteen had told him that to be “flash” (stylish)
hair “ought to be long in front, and done in ‘figure-six’ curls, or
twisted back to the ear ‘Newgate knocker style’.” Eight years later,
John Camden Hotten explained in his /Dictionary of Modern Slang, Cant,
and Vulgar Words/ that “The shape is supposed to resemble the knocker on
the prisoners’ door at Newgate — a resemblance that carries a rather
unpleasant suggestion to the wearer.” Another description came a couple
of years later from another investigative social journalist, James
Greenwood:

All, or nearly all, [were] bull-necked, heavy-jawed, and with the hair
dressed after a fashion known among its patrons as the “Newgate knocker”
style — that is, parted in masses on each side of the head and turned
under unnaturally.
/Illustrated Times/ (London), 16 Feb. 1861.

There’s no obvious connection with the colour black. We may guess,
however, that Londoners would have imagined the prison’s knocker to be
large and made of black iron as well as figuratively black because of
its evil associations. We may also guess from the dates at which the two
expressions were first current that Londoners took over the hairstyle
phrase as a new way to describe the colour, as people have done for
centuries with similes such as /black as your hat/, /black as death/,
/black as the ace of spades/, /black as thunder/, and /black as the Earl
of Hell’s waistcoat/.

As a postscript, I also found this, in a story from 60-odd years ago
about the search by a journalist named Bernard O’Donnell for the
original Newgate knocker:

His spasmodic search came to an end recently when he was in the office
of the Keeper of the Old Bailey, Mr A W Burt. “Where is Newgate’s
knocker?” he asked Mr Burt. Promptly it was shown to him. It was on the
keeper’s desk. After years spent as a symbol which came to inspire dread
among the poor of London, it had found a more useful rôle. It now makes
an ideal paper weight.
/The Scotsman/, 24 April 1950.

Make of that what you will. I wonder if it still exists?

In the news

Oxford Dictionaries announced its Word of the Year 2016 on 16 November:
/post-truth/. Its editors defined this as “relating to or denoting
circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping
public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief.” One example
came in a report in /The Times/ on 31 October of comments by the
president of the European Council on the signing of a trade deal with
Canada: “Mr Tusk also denounced the ‘post-truth politics ... on both
sides of the Atlantic’ which nearly scuppered the deal because ‘facts
and figures won’t stand up for themselves’ against an emotional
opposition campaign.” Though it has been very much a word of this year,
connected both with the Brexit referendum in the UK and the US
presidential election, Oxford Dictionaries noted that “/post-truth/
seems to have been first used in this meaning in a 1992 essay by the
late Serbian-American playwright Steve Tesich in /The Nation/ magazine.”

Last time I mentioned the Danish word /hygge/, a quality of cosiness and
comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or
well-being. This has become widely popular in Britain this year, and was
one of Oxford Dictionaries’ runners-up as Word of the Year. For the
background and the story of its rise in British English, I can’t do
better than point you to an article by Charlotte Higgins in /The
Guardian <http://wwwords.org/hygge>/ on 22 November.

The newest British buzzword is /jam/. Not as in the “jam tomorrow and
jam yesterday, but never jam today” meaning of the Red Queen in /Through
the Looking-Glass/ — though the quip has been made several times by
pundits — but as an acronym for “Just About Managing”. This refers to
the estimated six million working-age British households on low to
middle incomes who are struggling to stave off poverty from day to day.
The term derives from a speech given by the new prime minister, Theresa
May, just after she was chosen by MPs in July. She said of the members
of this group, “You have a job but you don’t always have job security.
You have your own home, but you worry about paying a mortgage. You can
just about manage but you worry about the cost of living and getting
your kids into a good school.” Her words became a catchphrase among
commentators which has now been shortened.

Boxing Day

Q /From Burt Rubin; a related question came from Keith Denham/: As an
American, I’ve always wondered about the origin of the term /Boxing Day/.

A Boxing Day is a public holiday in Britain and most Commonwealth
countries. There’s some minor confusion these days, in Britain at least,
over which day it actually is. The reference books a century ago were
adamant that it was the first working day after Christmas Day. However,
the name is now frequently attached specifically to 26 December, even if
it falls at the weekend, which makes it equivalent to the Christian
saint’s day of St Stephen.

We have to go back to the early seventeenth century to find the basis
for the name. The term /Christmas box/ appeared about then for an
earthenware box, something like a piggy bank, which apprentices and
other workers took around immediately after Christmas to collect money.
When the round was complete, the box was broken and the money
distributed among the company. The first known example:

/Tirelire/, a Christmas box; a box having a cleft on the lid, or in the
side, for money to enter it; used in France by begging Fryers, and here
by Butlers, and Prentices, etc.
/A Dictionarie of the French and English Tongues/, by Randle Cotgrave, 1611.

By the eighteenth century, /Christmas box/ had become a figurative term
for any seasonal gratuity. By the nineteenth century their collection
seems to have become a scourge in our big cities. When James Murray
compiled an entry for /Christmas box/ in the first edition of the
/Oxford English Dictionary/ in 1889, his splendidly acerbic description
suggests that the practice had become a personal bugbear:

A present or gratuity given at Christmas: in Great Britain, usually
confined to gratuities given to those who are supposed to have a vague
claim upon the donor for services rendered to him as one of the general
public by whom they are employed and paid, or as a customer of their
legal employer; the undefined theory being that as they have done
offices for this person, for which he has not directly paid them, some
direct acknowledgement is becoming at Christmas.

Though the term /Boxing Day/ for the day on which such Christmas boxes
were requested didn’t become widespread until early in the nineteenth
century, a few examples are recorded from the previous century. The
earliest I know of is this:

Tuesday in Christmas Week, about Eight in the Evening, I was coming over
this broad Place, and saw a Man come up to this lame Man, and knock him
down — It was the Day after Boxing Day.
/Transcript of a trial at the Old Bailey/ (London), 14 Jan. 1743.

By the middle of the nineteenth century, the term seems to have become
as closely associated with importuning individuals as Christmas Box itself:

“Boxing Day,” — the day consecrated to baksheesh, when nobody, it would
almost seem, is too proud to beg, and when everybody who does not beg is
expected to play the almoner. “Tie up the knocker — say you’re sick, you
are dead,” is the best advice perhaps that could be given in such cases
to any man who has a street-door and a knocker upon it.
/Curiosities of London Life/, by Charles Manby Smith, 1853.

The custom has died out, seasonal visitors to Britain may be assured,
though small gifts are still sometimes given to tradesmen and suppliers
of services. The favourite occupation of the day is attending football
matches or rushing to the post-Christmas sales.

Useful information

*About this newsletter.* /World Wide Words/ is written, edited and
published in the UK by Michael Quinion. ISSN 1470-1448. Copyediting and
advice are provided by Julane Marx, Robert Waterhouse, John Bagnall and
Peter Morris. The linked website is http://www.worldwidewords.org.

*Subscriptions.* To /leave the list/, send an email from your subscribed
address to worldwidewords-leave at listserv.linguistlist.org
<mailto:worldwidewords-leave at listserv.linguistlist.org>. To /join the
list/, send an email to worldwidewords-join at listserv.linguistlist.org
<mailto:worldwidewords-join at listserv.linguistlist.org> from the address
at which you want to subscribe. To /change your subscribed address/,
leave the list and rejoin. In each case, the subject line and body of
your message will be ignored; you will be sent a message asking you to
confirm your intention. Please don’t contact me asking for changes you
can make yourself, though you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org if problems occur. This newsletter is also
available on RSS <http://wwwords.org/rs> and via Twitter
<http://wwwords.org/tw> and Facebook <http://wwwords.org/fb>. Back
issues for the past year are available here <http://wwwords.org/bk>.

*E-mail contact addresses.* Comments on newsletter mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to me
<mailto:wordseditor at worldwidewords.org>. I do try to respond, but
pressures of time often prevent me from doing so. Items intended for the
/Sic!/ section should go to sic at worldwidewords.org
<mailto:sic at worldwidewords.org>. Questions intended to be answered in
the Q and A section should be sent to wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org
<mailto:wordsquestions at worldwidewords.org>, not to me directly.

*Support World Wide Words.* If you have enjoyed this newsletter and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked website,
please visit the support page <http://www.worldwidewords.org/support.htm>.

*Copyright.* /World Wide Words/ is copyright © Michael Quinion 2016. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this newsletter in whole or part in
free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists online provided that you
include the copyright notice above and give the website address.
Reproduction of substantial parts of items in printed publications or
websites requires permission from the editor beforehand.